Select to view content in your preferred language

configuring ArcGIS Server to host services that are made available publicly

02-05-2016 08:46 AM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi GeoNet,

We are working on creating a web map that will be used with outside consultants, in order to do this we need to open up our services to the public through the company firewall, to do this i need to go talk to IT but i am concerned that i am not going to be able to explain myself in a way that makes sense to IT as to what we need to do and i am not really sure what we need to do/

Im currently going through the ArcGIS server documentation but figured i would ask here to.

Thanks

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

I think when you say, 'not connected to the network' you mean outside the domain.  That may be a better description

Thanks,
-Joe
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Besides the links Derek mention I would also recommend reading thru Securing your ArcGIS Server site—Documentation (10.4) |

btw - I think 10.4 is about to be officially released since the "10.3" help (typically with url "latest) already has 10.4 in the title....but the information should still be valid.

MichaelRobb
Regular Contributor II

10.4 would more than likely be fully released sometime 'after' the Dev summit.  This is the trend.. after the dev summit, before the User Conference.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just FYI,

ArcGIS 10.4 should be available to customers today or tomorrow.

Hope this helps,

RandallClark2

Thank you, that makes way more sense

0 Kudos
RandallClark2

Hi Joe,

Now please bear with me for a minute, this is very much for my own personal desire to understand this process as much as anything,

So if IT creates a sub-domain, ags.mycampus.edu how does that work with the URL that was generate by web adapter, which is already in place?

Do i need to change the URL generated by the web adapter or is integrated with the sub-domain created by IT?

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Regular Contributor II

The URL would end up on the right side of the domain...    ags.mycampus.edu/[APP]  

agis.mycapmus.edu resolves to the machine... there are other tricks that can be done by NLBs... Netscalar / F5 / Kemp  appliances... etc.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor