Conect to Oracle 12.2 from ArcCatalog 10.5

02-11-2022 12:45 AM
yockee
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I am just wondering the possibility of connecting to ArcSDE 10.5 hosted on Oracle 12c from Arc Catalog 10.5.

The geodatabase is using Oracle 12c (ver 12.2.0.1.0).

I have tried putting on the Instance Name these string in Arc Catalog : 

"sde:oracle12c:dbnew", " sde:oracle12g:dbnew". 

The Oracle Instant Client that I am using is for 12c 32bit.

I can connect fine to Oracle 11 and 12 from DBeaver. The TNSPing to all instances are OK too.

I am able to connect to ArcSDE 10.5 (on Oracle 11g) from  ArcCatalog 10.5

I have Oracle Instant Client 32bit installed. And the TNS Name is correct too (i am using a copy of working TNS Names format)

thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

So I see a few potential issues I see:

Once you have it configured for TNSNAMES, then you just put the TNSNAME in the connection box. I would also try <servername>/SID first to make sure that work.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
yockee
by

Anyway. Thanks George.

I think that Desktop 10.5 simply cant connect to geodatabase in oracle 12c.
I don't know, may be I am wrong.

But,  I am able to connect using ArcGIS Pro 2.6 easily.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I would be willing to bet that ArcMap / Catalog 10.5.x can connect to Oracle 12c; https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/10.6/database-requirements-oracle.htm

It was a supported version. I know the doc is for 10.6 but am confident about 10.5.

Do you have the PATH of the Instant Client at the beginning of the path variable in the environmental settings?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
yockee
by

Yes. I have the Path in the Environment variables set. I have 2 Oracle Clients, for 32 and 64bit. And the order of the path is set that 32bit is listed before the 64bit

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

put the 32 bit after the 64 bit and close / reopen the ArcGIS client. Then retest

--- George T.
0 Kudos
yockee
by

Same effect George.
I just found out that the Desktop version that support Oracle 12c is 15.1 Here it says "You must install   on all 10.5.1 client machines to use Oracle 12.2.01 with ArcGIS".

Mine is 15.0

thanks

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ah, ok. So you need to update to ArcMap 10.5.1 and install the Oracle patch for Oracle 12.2.0.1. That should get you going.

--- George T.
0 Kudos