CloudBuilder Configure Web Adaptor on Ubuntu

08-02-2012 02:04 PM
BlairDeaver
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I have setup my Ubuntu ArcGIS Server 10.1 instance via Cloud Builder.  All went well, but now I am a bit puzzled how to install the Java Web Adaptor.  Here are my questions:

1) Is the Java Web Adaptor for ArcGIS Server installed by default with the Cloud Builder setup?  If yes, where are the files installed?
2) If the Java Web Adaptor for ArcGIS Server is not installed by default, then where can I find documentation on how to install the Java Web Adaptor on a remote server in the cloud.  The Linux server documentation is written for a setup where the user has access to be able to mount a CD/DVD device and written for a sever that has a display.  I have downloaded and unpacked the files but get the following message when I try to install on my EC2 instance:

ubuntu@ip-10-248-81-110:~/downloads/esri/arcgis_server/WebAdaptor$ ls
Documentation  Install.htm  Setup  WebAdaptor
ubuntu@ip-10-248-81-110:~/downloads/esri/arcgis_server/WebAdaptor$ sudo ./Setup
[ArcGIS 10.1 Web Adaptor (Java Platform) Setup Warning]
Unsupported OS found. ArcGIS 10.1 Web Adaptor (Java Platform) supports Red Hat Enterprise Server 5 and 6, and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11.
Press Enter to continue anyway...
read: 65: arg count

WARNING:  This shell's DISPLAY variable has not been set.
This setup requires a valid display. Please set the DISPLAY
variable to your local UNIX host, or execute this setup
from a UNIX host which has the DISPLAY variable set.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Blair
0 Kudos
17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have a scenario which I believe is going to require a Web Adaptor on Ubuntu instance.

I would like to use Web Server authentication so that I can use a single sign-on from a web site to provide secure access to map services.  Is there a way to install the Web Adaptor on Ubuntu Server yet?

Thanks!
Dave
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Great thanks! 

Also, do you know if ArcGIS Server can be installed on Ubuntu?  I have used the ArcGIS Server for Ubuntu AMI on AWS, but it isn't listed as one of the supported OS here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/install-guides/arcgis-server-unix/10.1/index.html#/System_requir...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ubuntu is not officially supported on-premise. Of course it's supported on the AMI we release. You plan to use Ubuntu for ArcGIS Server? I'm just interested in your use case. We are collecting information/requirements on this.

Thanks,
Cherry
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes, my organization uses Ubuntu Server for all of our Linux servers.  Would love to see ESRI start supporting it outside of the cloud too!

Thanks,
Dave
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I realize it is unsupported, but the AMI is evidence that ArcGIS Server can run on Ubuntu, and I'd really like to use it for an on-premise instance.

I was able to complete the installation, and start ArcGIS Server, but when creating the initial site in the manager interface I get the following error (which seems to be a common error on other platforms too): 
"Failed to create the site. Failed to create the service 'System/CachingTools.GPServer'."

I tried some of the solutions suggest for other OS's, but no luck.  My log files show that the 'System' folder was created, but it fails to create the service:

<Msg time="2013-07-17T16:17:06,952" type="INFO" code="6557" source="Admin" process="30721" thread="12" methodName="" machine="TDWEB" user="" elapsed="">Folder 'System' was created successfully.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-07-17T16:17:08,835" type="SEVERE" code="6563" source="Admin" process="30721" thread="12" methodName="" machine="TDWEB" user="" elapsed="">Failed to create the service 'System/CachingTools.GPServer'.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-07-17T16:17:08,837" type="SEVERE" code="6533" source="Admin" process="30721" thread="12" methodName="" machine="TDWEB" user="" elapsed="">Failed to create the site. Failed to create the service 'System/CachingTools.GPServer'.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-07-17T16:17:08,839" type="INFO" code="7057" source="Admin" process="30721" thread="12" methodName="" machine="TDWEB" user="" elapsed="">Disconnecting the site from the configuration store.</Msg>

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on how to get this working.  I would much rather run ArcGIS Server on a local Ubuntu instance than switching to RedHad, SUSE, or having to use the AMI.

Thanks again,
Dave
0 Kudos
AndrewHansford
Occasional Contributor II

Hi David,

What was your solution here?

Cheers

Andrew

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
disregard that last one, I got it working!

Dave
0 Kudos