Select to view content in your preferred language

Change hosted server possible?

02-15-2024 08:59 AM
PLadd
by
Occasional Contributor III

Within ArcGIS Enterprise, I have 2 servers with ArcGIS Server Manager.  Server1role is: HOSTING_SERVER.  Server2 role is: FEDERATED_SERVER.

Is it possible to make another server the HOSTING_SERVER?  Let's call it Server3.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
PLadd
by
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Bill - but I don't want to unfederate, I want to switch the hosting server.  I supposed if I unfederated bother servers, I'm guessing I'd no longer have a hosting server and can then establish a new hosting server.  My understanding is that when unfederating, all unique IDs to portal items are lost forever and I'm comfortable with that scenario.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

why the change? curious if you might have other options to get there

0 Kudos
TimoT
by
Occasional Contributor

You can only have one hosting server site, but you may have multiple ArcGIS Server machines within that site.

If your end goal is to simply move the hosting server to a different machine, you can follow the workflow from Esri documentation:

This workflow uses the Join Site operation to join a second machine to your hosting server site, then unregistering the original server from the site.

Timo

0 Kudos
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @PLadd, yes it is easy enough, you just unregister the current hosting server in ArcGIS Server manager and register it on the new server, then remove the Hosting role in portal and federate then new hosting server, that being said there is a few pitfalls.

The services published in the old datastore that are sitting in the old ArcGIS server does not get moved to the new one, so if you want to preserve them then apply this workflow, this is assuming you are moving all the services e.g. tile Cache and relational.

Install the new ArcGIS Server and register it with the datastore,

Navigate to the old system and copy over the following, after stopping the server service.

{your drive}:\arcgisserver\config-store\services\Hosted

{your drive}:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache\Hosted

{your drive}:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgisoutput\Hosted

{your drive}:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Hosted

this will bring up the ArcGIS server services, now for the 3rd problem the URL's in portal for ArcGIS are still pointing to the old DNS and need to be updated.

using notepad ++ in administrator mode find and replace the following .

in {your drive}:\arcgisportal\content\items find and replace 

OLD DNS: https://old_dns/{web_adaptor_name}/rest/services/Hosted

NEW DNS: https://new_dns/{web_adaptor_name}/rest/services/Hosted

FILTER: *.* !*.png !*.tiff !*.jpeg !*.jpg !*.pdf

Directory: {your drive}:\arcgisportal\content\items

HenryLindemann_0-1708063686655.png

NB make a backup off your system before making any changes.

Regards 

Henry

0 Kudos