Select to view content in your preferred language

Change ArcGIS Server Hostname

01-18-2023 08:51 PM
dedimi
by
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I have a plan to change some VMs hostname that has ArcGIS Server installed on it. The VM OS is RHEL 7.9 and the ArcGIS Server version is 10.7.1.

I found 2 articles regarding this and I think their content have opposite meaning:

At the first article for Linux OS the server hostname can not be changed while at the second article it can be changed.

Appreciate if anyone can give some advices and maybe can share the experience in this regard

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

how about stand up a new vm with the name you want

install ArcGIS Server software on it

join it to your existing ArcGIS Server "site"

keep both or ditch the old one

0 Kudos
dedimi
by
New Contributor III

Actually my plan is to clone the existing one and then I'll upgrade the ArcGIS version to 10.9.1, once it's settled then I'll decommission the old one. Because I want to avoid data migrating process and while do the upgrading, user is still able to utilize ArcGIS in the old one however in read-only mode.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

"Yes. ArcGIS Server will automatically detect a machine name change"

They left out "It's magic!"

Are you using it with Portal? If you are only using Server it's probably fine to trust them. If it's a VM, snapshot it first and roll back if the magical thing does not happen.

0 Kudos
dedimi
by
New Contributor III

Yes, actually it is in ArcGIS Enterprise, so working with Portal. 

I don't want to take the risk with the magical thing, that's why if anyone has experience of it would appreciate to share.

0 Kudos
TimBuchanan
New Contributor

Were you able to get all the Portal part running after your server name change? ....  I got this link from Customer Care after...   https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/common-problems-and-solutions.htm#...  

0 Kudos