Cannot register folder with ArcGIS Server 10.1

Jump to solution
10-10-2012 01:16 PM
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
ArcGIS Server 10.1 is installed on a Linux VM. I am trying to connect to a Linux file share via a samba mount.
I am in the 'ArcGIS Server Properties' > 'Data Store' tab. I can register my Enterprise Postgres databases just fine, but when I try to register a folder, I get the error:
"The ArcGIS Server is not able to connect to the specified directory. Please ensure the folder exists and has the appropriate permissions for the ArcGIS Server to access it."

This doesn't make sense because when I click the '+' sign and browse, I can see the folder. The agsadmin user has read/write privileges to the directory. What am I missing?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
I figured it out. The answer is to create a NSF mount from the Linux file share to the Linux GIS Server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor
Is it possible that for you agsadmin is your primary site administrator account you use to manage server and publish services?

There a second account called the ArcGIS Server account which is usually a totally different account set up on installation, its the one that requires permissions to access data.

In our training classes we call them agssite and agsos, respectively.
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
It sounds like you are talking about SOM & SOC accounts? I thought these no longer exist at 10.1? The install never asked to create any other accounts.
0 Kudos
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor
You are right, there were three accounts, the admin and then the som and soc accounts at 10.  At 10.1 there now only two accounts.

Can you perform a check for the name of the ArcGIS Server Account?

(Please don't make any changes and Cancel when finished.)

Start > All Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS 10.1 for Server > Configure ArcGIS Server Account

Is agsadmin the name listed for ArcGIS Server Account?

Click Cancel.

This account was created when ArcGIS 10.1 for Server got installed.

The other account (Primary Site Administrator) was created when the Site was created.  To confirm this, do you log into ArcGIS Server Manager with agsadmin?
0 Kudos
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
I have a Linux install.... so there is no "Start > All Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS 10.1 for Server > Configure ArcGIS Server Account"

How do I check the details for the 'ArcGIS Server Account' on a Linux install?

And yes, I definitely use 'agsadmin' to log into ArcGIS Server Manager.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor
My face is reddened with embarassment.

From Step 4 in the install guide:
"The ArcGIS Server account is the one you used when you installed the software. The installation makes this account the owner of all files that it places on the system"

From Step 8 in the install guide:
"The ArcGIS Server account is the account you used to install ArcGIS Server, not the primary site administrator specified when the ArcGIS Server site was created."

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/install-guides/arcgis-server-unix/10.1/index.html#/Making_your_d...
0 Kudos
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor
One more thing.

Could you use an ls �??l in the installation directory and the files would be owned by the user that installed the software.
0 Kudos
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
Not sure about this. In a lot of organizations, the 'systems admin' person will do the software install as the 'root' user. It is a security problem to create a user named 'root' on the shared file system. Is there a way to specify the 'ArcGIS Server Account' as something other than the user that installed the software? Seems weird that you would be able to do this on the Windows version and not the Linux version...
0 Kudos
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor
Did the ls -l show the owner?

It should not be root. As you can't install the software on Linux as a 'root' OS-level user.
0 Kudos
DonaldBrown
Occasional Contributor
Yes, the 'ls -l' in the install directory showed that 'root' installed the software. You can't install the software as 'root'???? I guess we found a way...
0 Kudos