Can you install ArcGIS for Server Advanced Enterprise on SQL Server Express

09-04-2014 04:31 PM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

I am fairly new to ArcGIS for Server and I am trying to read up on documentation about different database management systems and I cannot seem to find an answer on whether or not I can install ArcGIS for Server Advanced Enterprise on SQL Server Express? I'm trying to set up an Enterprise Geodatabase with the trial version of Server Advanced Enterprise. Any help would be much appreciated.

42 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Yes, SQL Server Native Client is indeed required on the machine. However, the error that you are getting may not be caused because of that.

Is the user mapped to any SQL Server database?

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

I did not select any database from the pulldown on the bottom of the window. All I am seeing is a report server by the name of "ReportServer$SQLEXPRESS" or "ReportServer$SQLEXPRESSTempDB" which I do not think is correct. Will I have other options if I install the client?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Those two options will show up...that is not an issue.

You are able to see those, that indicates that SQL Server Native Client should already be installed (check this).

Once you create more databases\geodatabase in that SQL Server instance, you will see more options in that dropdown.

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

Am I supposed to choose one of these options to establish my Enterprise Geodatabase (SDE)? If I'm reading the help topics correctly, establishing the database server is for a Workgroup license right? I can establish a connection to the server but I tried creating a Geodatabase under the server node and it brings up a dialog box stating that it is not licensed. This is quite confusing!

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

What kind of SDE geodatabase are you planning to create? Personal, Workgroup or Enterprise?

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

Since I have a Server Enterprise Advanced Licensed, I would assume that I would want an Enterprise Geodatabase; however, this is very new to me. I would like to author my map services with an Enterprise Geodatabase so i can author my map services for out in the field editing.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Have a look at the links mentioned in my very first post in this thread.

Use the "Create Enterprise geodatabase" tool to create the sde enterprise geodatabase tool.

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

Thanks a million!

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

I was able to successfully install an Enterprise Geodatabase yesterday before leaving work; however,I turned my computer on this morning and for some reason, I cannot connect with my server via localhost:6080/acgis/manager. Would installing SQL Server Express have something to do with this? I had a lot of connections through ArcCatalog which are not working as well.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

No, I don't think that has anything to do with installing SQL Server Express.

I would suggest creating a new thread for the ArcGIS Server issue, as this thread mainly concerns the installation and creation of the enterprise gdb.

0 Kudos