Can't Connect to new SQL Server Instance with SQL Manager

Jump to solution
04-13-2016 01:59 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

This really isn't a GIS question per se, but I'm hoping someone can get me moving in the right direction.

Today IT created a new instance of SQL Server on which I have created a new Enterprise Geodatabase.  If I log into the actual machine where SQL Server resides, I can use SQL Server2014 Management Studio just fine to administer the new database.  While in the same session of Management Studio, I can connect to another instance of SQl Server on a different server machine.

My problem is I can't connect to the new SQL Server Instance from my desktop machine which is on the same network/domain using SQL Server2014 Management Studio.  It tosses a fairly generic error about pipes etc; sometimes it's error 2, sometimes 54  I checked the the new instance properties and 'Allow Remote Connections To This Service' is checked.  I guess remotely logging into the server isn't the end of the world, but I'd rather just hit from my desk top.

Vince Angelo​...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
10 Replies
GailWallace
New Contributor

I would

1. make sure to unhide known file extensions

2. make an empty notepad *.txt file on your desktop

3. change the extension to *.UDL

4.  Tab to connection

5.  enter new server name datalinktest.PNG

6. see if using Windows Security you can see the database in (3.) pull window otherwise it is a rights issue.

0 Kudos