caching symbols at same scale at different sizes?

09-06-2016 02:32 PM
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III

I am getting 2 symbol sizes at the same scale, any ideas what causes this? These points are in the same area of interest.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

You have defined layer symbologies for one layer or two different..
check symbol size.

JenniferMcCall4

Can you provide some more information?  As Avinash suggested - are these symbols in one layer or two?  Is there a reference scale set on the data frame?  Are the symbol sizes the same in the map document before the cache?

0 Kudos
AmyKlug

OK here is some details

The layers is copied 7 times and visibility is set on each layer at different symbol sizes, added as a group layer. Zooms in just fine in the mxd. The layer was created as an empty feature class and points were added to it during an edit session. I tried setting a spatial index, same result.

Scales set on layers:

No reference scale is set on the dataframe

Scales set on cache (latest, I've tired different values = same result):

0 Kudos
AmyKlug

When I tested in a web map the symbols would get big, then small, then big again as I zoom in (maybe this is normal behavior?) and in ArcMap the symbols are different sizes at the same scale. in both cases some of the points on the outside are cut in half, like the extent chopped them off. I set the extent to zoom to layer.

0 Kudos
JenniferMcCall4

Since the data is cached, it acts like an image or graphic.  Let's say your cache levels are 1:1000, 1:2000, 1:4000 - if you view the cache at 1:2000 the symbols should look fine (as expected).  If you were to view the cache at 1:2500 or 1:3000 for example - scales that are not cached - the symbols will distort from the original cache scale.

Saying this, how do your symbols look at one of your exact cache scales?  Do they appear as expected?

For the issue regarding the cut-off symbols, are you setting a caching Area of Interest?  When you zoomed to the layer before publishing the service, did you also set this extent as the data frame extent in the Data Frame properties?

0 Kudos
JenniferMcCall4

I was looking at the cache scales you set:

If these are the scales you are going with, I would recommend that you set you visible ranges for the layers in ArcMap so that the caching scale is in the middle of the layer visibility range in ArcMap.  Example:

1:15,000,000 - 1:6,500,001

1:6.500,000 - 1:2,000,001

1:2,000,000 - 900,001

1:900,000 - 1:650,001

1:650,000 - 1:400,001

1:400,000 - 1:175,001

1:175,000 - none

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

From above statement looks like your cache tiles are not completed yet,

Please check and share complete statues and scale range.