Cache sub-folder.... rename?

Jump to solution
02-12-2024 01:34 PM
RDCOGIS
New Contributor III

Can someone please explain the first 'Caution' message from here: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.9.1/publish-services/windows/accessing-map-and-image-cach... 'If you change the service name or map data frame name, you must manually rename the cache folder to match'

what the....?

In my scenario, I'm republishing everything from Pro, as we all are, and I am also leaving my old cache behind in favor of building a new one. The new cache dir is folder_servicename\mapname , but the old dir was folder_servicename\Layers......

To build the cache or stop/start the service I need the 'mapname' in the dir, but to use the service it needs to be 'Layers' in the dir.

Is there any place to edit this setting or fix this 'bug'?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDCOGIS
New Contributor III

The gremlin has been exorcised!

Yes, this was a real thing.

After a maintenance day and a few server reboots (clustered environment), I can now use the proper and expected folder name for my tiles. I no longer have to rename the tile folder back to 'Layers'.

Again,... yes this was a real thing. Somewhere in the bowels of either the Server config or these particular Services, it was forcing me to rename my cache folder to 'Layers' for the tiles to be recognized.....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AmandaDeMedeiros
Esri Contributor

<folder name>_<map service name>

'If you change the service name or map data frame name, you must manually rename the cache folder to match'

This is telling you if you alter the name of the service in Server Manager or Portal to update the cache folders name in File Explorer. As it will not update these files for you.

Update a complete cache, without interrupting the production version:

1. create a new service <new_temp>  using the same (or copy) of the prod
  2. create the cache with the new_temp service
  3. if there is already a cache for the prod service:
    1. STOP prod service and the new_temp service in ArcGIS Server Manager
    2. using File Explorer (not the Catalog Window)
      1. rename the prod cache folder as a backup
      2. rename the new_temp cache folder to the correct name for the prod service
    3. START the prod service
  4. If this cache is new:
    1. Create the folders for the cache by setting up the cache, but as manual
    2. then follow the same steps as above.
Amanda De Medeiros
Esri Canada
0 Kudos
RDCOGIS
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response, I completely agree with your workflow, but something else is going on here.

I have some gremlins in the system, figure this out......

I have an old cached service running for years, originally created from an mxd with the 'Layers' map frame. I completely delete the service. I recreate the service, in Pro (map name is not 'Layers'), I can make the service any random name I want and everything works as expected (after caching a few scale levels). If I name the service the same as the original name, the new cache is completely unusable until I rename the subfolder back to 'Layers'.

I first thought that maybe the import into Pro and rename from Layers to a proper name didn't take, but I tried again with a new map and same thing. There's something about the original service name that insists that the cache folder be named 'Layers'.

Tough for anyone to recreate so I'm not holding out for an answer, but maybe someone ran into this too.....

0 Kudos
RDCOGIS
New Contributor III

The gremlin has been exorcised!

Yes, this was a real thing.

After a maintenance day and a few server reboots (clustered environment), I can now use the proper and expected folder name for my tiles. I no longer have to rename the tile folder back to 'Layers'.

Again,... yes this was a real thing. Somewhere in the bowels of either the Server config or these particular Services, it was forcing me to rename my cache folder to 'Layers' for the tiles to be recognized.....

0 Kudos