Build cache on local computer

07-03-2016 05:56 AM
roialgavish
New Contributor III

Hello,

I know there is way to publish a cache service while building the cache manually later, and then to build the cache on my local computer and then just to copy the cache folder that was created on my local computer to the cache folder of the service.

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to do it.

Any ideas?

Thank you, Roi

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You didn't mention what version of Desktop (or if Pro) you are using, but this blog covers multiple workflows for making caches, including making it local.

Workflows for Using and Building Hosted Cached Map Tiles

after that, check out the help fir the version you are using. They may not be exactly what you are asking, but might get you headed in the right direction.

Manage Map Server Cache Tiles—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Managing your local display cache—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

About tile packages—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If you are just trying to use the space on your local drive, but still Server for creating, I wonder if you can just create a arcgisserver folder structure (in Server) as the destination.

as for using cache files direct, not thru the server, Desktop (maybe pro) can navigate to the cache folder and read them directly, assuming the version if desktop is compatible with compact version of the cache. I use this method to distribute to remote offices, that is, create on server, in my case, then copy the cache folder fir the service to a drive the other offices can access (or ship a DVD or thumb drive). They get the speed if the cache without the overhead of sever (or connection errors).