base table definition string is invalid

Jump to solution
09-05-2012 08:08 AM
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to start the first new service on a 10.1 server. It has one layer. I get this error message:

Error: service started with errors.
Machine: TEST [service instance is started with errors. The base table definition string "Coast_line" is invalid]*

I have r/w permissions on the data folder for the arcgis arcgis user.

Thanks,
46 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I had the same issue and resolved it by giving user arcgis SELECT rights to the database in SQL

What if my data is file geodatabase but not SDE? how to give "select" permission?
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
RobChouinard
Occasional Contributor
I solved this problem by giving my ArcGIS Server user "full access" security rights to my folders containing File Geodatabases. Reason for full access is when the service is started it needs to be able to create schema locks on layers/tables you have in your service. All folders you have registered with ArcGIS Server need this.
MatthewBaker2
Occasional Contributor II

This was the solution for me... I have a subfolder on our application server containing a geodatabase with my data for server. We gave the subfolder (not the root) full access to the 'arcgis' user and the service published just fine.

JerrySimmons_GISP
New Contributor III
What if my data is file geodatabase but not SDE? how to give "select" permission?

you might want to check securtiy permissions on the file geodatabase to see if you arc user is allowed access
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
you might want to check securtiy permissions on the file geodatabase to see if you arc user is allowed access

Many thanks guys for the help,

But how to give the ArcGIS Server Account�?� user (which is a user on the server machine) permissions on the client machine where my data (mxd and file geodatabase) is stored?

In the scenario of �??home network�?� there is no way to grant users of other machines some permissions in your machine as the users of other machines will never appear on your machine to be granted permissions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21578[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]21579[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]21580[/ATTACH]

This issue here is that we need to grant a user on the server machine a permission on the client machine. How this might be accomplished?

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor
I am not sure if this would help but I would install arcgis server 10.1 service pack 1, etc. It fixed several problems I was experiencing in editing.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I am not sure if this would help but I would install arcgis server 10.1 service pack 1, etc. It fixed several problems I was experiencing in editing.

Many thanks Peter for the contribution,

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
A co-worker of mine encountered the problem "The base table definition string xxxx is invalid" yesterday.

In this particular case, he diagnosed the problem to be related to installing custom features classes and class extensions on the server which referenced a missing DLL.

This implies to me that this failure message is very generic and is simply saying that the server has some type of configuration issue.  It would be helpful if ArcGIS Server provided additional/better error information.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
  It would be helpful if ArcGIS Server provided additional/better error information.

That's the understatement of the year.  I don't know how many times I've been given a generic error and had no idea how to fix it because I didn't know what the problem was.  Many of the errors I've had require the use of MXD Doctor or checking each individual layer for problems.  Of course, a generic error is better than no error at all which I've had a lot when I go to print and ArcMap locks up.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
That's the understatement of the year.  I don't know how many times I've been given a generic error and had no idea how to fix it because I didn't know what the problem was.  Many of the errors I've had require the use of MXD Doctor or checking each individual layer for problems.  Of course, a generic error is better than no error at all which I've had a lot when I go to print and ArcMap locks up.

The thread below has related discussion

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/77181-Granting-permissions-to-the-%E2%80%9CArcGIS-Server-Account%E2...

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos