base table definition string is invalid

Jump to solution
09-05-2012 08:08 AM
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to start the first new service on a 10.1 server. It has one layer. I get this error message:

Error: service started with errors.
Machine: TEST [service instance is started with errors. The base table definition string "Coast_line" is invalid]*

I have r/w permissions on the data folder for the arcgis arcgis user.

Thanks,
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor
I solved my own question - the output folder did not have the local arcgis user added with permissions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
46 Replies
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor
I solved my own question - the output folder did not have the local arcgis user added with permissions.
0 Kudos
KipkuleiHarison
New Contributor

kindly shed more light on this ,am also trying to publish a servie and getting the same message base table definition string*** is invalid,what could be the reason?

0 Kudos
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor

Kipkulei,

I have not had a problem since I added the arcgis user with permissions since.

We are upto using arcgis server 10.22.

Have you looked at some of the other solutions tried in this message?

Peter

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I'm having the same error, what output folder are you referring to, maybe we're talking about something different but I'm trying to publish a service.  The service starts automatically unlike what the error states but I still get this odd error that I don't normally get when serving a table in a map service.

This new table is from the same geodatabase as other layers in this map service.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor
I am talking about the c:\arcgisserver\directories folder. There are 4 subfolders on my machine - arcgisoutput was the one I had to add the user to.
Also install arcgis server sp1 as it fixes many bugs. I had to reset the source for any data added before the sp as the sp changes how the the source is connected in sde.
0 Kudos
TheoFaull
Occasional Contributor III

'I had to add the user to.'

and how do you do that?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I'm not using sde so this probably isn't the issue for me.  Plus the problem just suddenly appeared.  I'll check into sp 1.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
GISGroup
New Contributor II
Hi,

I installed arcgis 10.1 with sp1. i created mosaic dataset in file geodatabase. the geodatabase folder also registered with server and I am able publish the dataset as image service through arc catalog. However, if i added the mosaic dataset in ArcMap, i am unable to publish i got error as "the base table definition string AMD_sat_2011_CAT is invalid.

any suggestions?

regards
Kumar
0 Kudos
PaulBird
New Contributor
Hi,

OK, Same problem... I have set permissions on the folders, I have set share on the folders, I have registered the folders, I have registered the databases.  And still I get "ERROR: service started with errors, The base table definition string " " is invalid."!

Out of frustration, I removed ARC Server completely, and reloaded it all.  It was and is 10.1 SP1... No change in results.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.
0 Kudos