Automate ArcGIS Relational DataStore Backup

Jump to solution
08-31-2021 11:39 PM
AYUSHYADAV
New Contributor III

Hi,

We have deployed ArcGIS Base enterprise version 10.8.1 in HA (high availability) on AWS. We have to take regular ArcGIS relational datastore backups on the Amazon S3 bucket. 

As per the ESRI documentation, we can register a secondary backup location for tile cache and spatiotemporal datastores and set that secondary location as the default location for the backups.

And in the case of relational datastore, we register a secondary backup location but we can't set it as a default backup location, We can take only manual backups on the secondary backup location.

AYUSHYADAV_0-1630477655900.png

So, we have registered a secondary backup location for relational datastore on the amazon s3 bucket, and we want to take regular backups on amazon s3 itself. So, for that, I have created a batch file and scheduled it on the task scheduler. 

My batch file looks like this:-

cd "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DataStore\tools"
backupdatastore --store relational --location type=s3;location=<s3 bucket name and location>;name=<datastore backup name>

I have checked and tested manually it works fine. 

The main issue which I am facing after scheduling it on the task scheduler is that when we hit backupdatastore command it prompts for a question that "Do you want to continue  Yes or No? "basically it wants user input after hitting backupdatastore command. And this is the point where the batch file fails or stops.

I just want to know is there any way we can automate the user input in the batch file.
                                                             or
Is there any better alternative way to automate relational datastore backups on amazon s3? 

Any help will be much appreciated !!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

You should be able to append '--prompt no' to your command and it will no longer ask whether to continue. The default backup location is required to be a file share for the relational data store, so there is no better built-in method to automate backups to S3 outside of a scheduled task/external script.

configurebackuplocation | ArcGIS Data Store command utility reference—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise
https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/data-store/latest/install/windows/data-store-utility-reference.htm#...

-- Chris Pawlyszyn

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

You should be able to append '--prompt no' to your command and it will no longer ask whether to continue. The default backup location is required to be a file share for the relational data store, so there is no better built-in method to automate backups to S3 outside of a scheduled task/external script.

configurebackuplocation | ArcGIS Data Store command utility reference—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise
https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/data-store/latest/install/windows/data-store-utility-reference.htm#...

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
0 Kudos
AYUSHYADAV
New Contributor III

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right I was missing that --prompt no.