Auto-Increment Field within SDE

07-08-2014 01:13 PM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

Has anyone successfully implemented a way of auto-incrementing an integer field within a SDE (Sql Server) geodatabase?  If so, would you be willing to share your method with examples?

I'd like to have an integer field that increments anytime a feature is created (inserted) and not have to rely on scripts afterwards to populate the field.

Our current system is:

ArcSDE: 10.1 sp1

RDBMS: Sql Server 2008 R2

Thanks in advance!

31 Replies
JarrettGreen
New Contributor III

Hi Matthew,

Have you had any luck doing this with SQL server?  My trigger works as expected in ArcGIS Desktop, but does not work in ArcGIS Online.  I've got SQL Server 2012 and AGS 10.3

I'm relying on the inserted table to count records.

0 Kudos
mpboyle

Coming back to this thread nearly 2 years after original posting... finally had some time dive into Sql Server sequences, and they are surprisingly easy to understand, even for someone like me who is not a DBA, or Sql Server expert.

I have been testing out using a sequence within a Sql Server trigger and have found some success.  Below are some template screenshots others may find useful.

Some quick notes about our environment:

• ArcGIS version: 10.4.1
  • DBMS: Sql Server 2014 Standard

Step 1: create your sequence --- some background reading on their arguments is probably useful...

• t-sql examples are provided in the above link
  • can also use SSMS --- expand database | Programmability | Sequences | New Sequence

Step 2: apply your sequence to a Sql trigger

• Notes:
    • The trigger template was provided to us by an Esri solution engineer; I'm not a DBA ... so the t-sql written may be improved upon without my knowing 
    • Line 14: if using a versioned dataset, your table name will need to be the associated 'add' (a) delta table
    • Line 15: this trigger ONLY runs after an insert (create)
    • Line 25: this trigger ONLY runs on the inserted record, not all records

Step 3: test Sql trigger

• The highlighted fields in the screenshot below were all generated from Sql triggers
    • Seq = next value within my sequence (sequence started at 1001) --- only on inserts
    • Seq String = concatenation of 'WS-' and sequence value --- only on inserts
    • Random = random 10-character string --- only on inserts
    • Result Display = concatenation of Collection Date, Test, Result Value, and Result Unit --- on inserts and updates

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Way to stick with it Matthew-  this is really good stuff!

boyle.matt

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
NataliyaLys
Occasional Contributor II

This is great. We were looking for this solution for so long.  I was able to implement this trigger. And it works great. 

I do have one question, though:  if I edit an existing record in my attribute table the trigger assigns a new sequential number to that record? I am probably missing something in the trigger?

Thanks,

Nataliya

0 Kudos
mpboyle

I checked one of the triggers I'm using and noticed a slight variance than the above screenshot...which I probably noticed after trying to edit features!

The sample below should take care of handling features were a sequence has already been applied.  The add (a) delta table for this test feature class has the trigger below applied to it, which is set to update the ID field on an insert/create IF the ID field is NULL.  You can see on subsequent edits of the feature, the 'ID' field remains the same value because the field is not NULL, and thus the trigger is skipped.

Modified trigger to account for already-populated sequence value.  The 'IF' statement on line 27 will check the inserted table to see if the sequence field (ID in this example) is already populated.  If it's not, the next value within the sequence will be grabbed and populated into the 'ID' field as shown on line 35.

I blocked out our database and schema name.  Simply replace with your values.

Add (a) delta table showing edits.  ID field remains as-is on subsequent edits because it is already populated.

NataliyaLys
Occasional Contributor II

Matt,

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I needed. I am not DBA either,  I just know enough to be dangerous 

Thanks,

Nataliya

0 Kudos
RuchiraWelikala2
New Contributor III

Hi Matthew, 

Thank you so much for this solution. It works great, however, did you run into an error such as this when reconciling?

ESRI has a Tech Article on it. 

I was wondering how you got around it if you experienced this sort of error.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mpboyle

Ruchira Welikala‌,

I was reading through the SQL statement I posted above and noticed a couple things that are omitted in the triggers we use for versioned datasets. 

1. I added the SDE_STATE_ID field in the where clauses because this is a key field in the add delta table.  Simply using the OBJECTID field can return many records in the add delta table (because there could be multiple edits on a single feature), but using BOTH the OBJECTID field and the SDE_STATE_ID field should return a unique record in the add delta table.
  2. I include TOP(1) in the SELECT statement to check whether or not the ID field is empty.

Below is an updated trigger t-SQL statement, as well as sample records in the add delta table.  I have gotten the error you mention before, and I believe making these adjustments cleared things up.

Using this trigger I was able to insert 3 separate features and edit them several times.

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[TriggerName]
   ON  [DatabaseName].[SchemaName].[AddDeltaTable]  -- add delta table name
   AFTER INSERT, UPDATE
AS 
BEGIN
    -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
    -- interfering with SELECT statements.
    SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- Delcare variables
    DECLARE
    @seqId int

-- =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    -- UPDATE ID FIELD BASED ON SEQUENCE VALUE
    -- =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

-- check if inserted record has a NULL ID value
    IF (SELECT TOP(1) i.ID 
    FROM [DatabaseName].[SchemaName].[AddDeltaTable] a, inserted i 
    WHERE a.OBJECTID = i.OBJECTID AND a.SDE_STATE_ID = i.SDE_STATE_ID) IS NULL

BEGIN

-- get next sequence value
        SET @seqId = NEXT VALUE FOR [DatabaseName].[SchemaName].[SequenceName]

-- update sequence field
        UPDATE a
        SET a.ID = @seqId
        FROM [DatabaseName].[SchemaName].[AddDeltaTable] a, inserted i
        WHERE a.OBJECTID = i.OBJECTID AND a.SDE_STATE_ID = i.SDE_STATE_ID

END

END‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

RuchiraWelikala2
New Contributor III

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I had created a trigger like this on Oracle (and leveraging the SDE_STATE_ID) but I didn't use it on this, which is on MSSQL. I updated the trigger and it seems to have resolved the issue. Thank you very much, Matthew. 

0 Kudos
xander
by
New Contributor III

Hi Mathew.  Does this take in to account the feature copy/paste in an versioned edit session? Cheers and great work!

0 Kudos