Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcSDE Issue regarding Users and Privileges

09-02-2014 01:18 AM
AhmedArrar
New Contributor

I am using ArcSDE 10.2.1 with Oracle 11g R2... I have created a user with create session privilege granted to him, I also granted him a select privilege on a dataset the user is unable to perform any edits but he is able to export data to XML, GDB and shapefile and copy the FDS to a personal GDB.

please advice.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AhmedArrar
New Contributor

convincing, but is there any third party tool which provides high level of security, where I can control such issues.

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen
Regular Contributor

Hi Ahmed,

When you give select privilege on your FC to a user and let them access your DB directly, there is no way you can prevent users from extracting the data out.

Richard's suggestion below is your best option, if you want your users to just view the data and not download it. create a map service with Query and data operations disabled. users can add this map service in arc map and view the data but cannot download data as vectors.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Richard Miedema wrote:

There a other ways to protect your data. If you really don´t want external viewers to retrieve your data, think of other ways, as for example creating map or WMS services.

If you don't have ArcGIS Server and can't procure one, you can explore open source software which support WMS.

0 Kudos