ArcMap Does Not Create Locators

05-13-2019 11:33 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced behavior in ArcMap where it just stops creating locators?

we are seeing this in 10.5.1 where it used to be able to create a locator in 3min, we attempted to build the locator again and 30min later we decided to stop the process. We are following address locator 101 steps, this locator does not exist within a gdb. 

thoughts?

dave

0 Kudos
13 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Starting at 10.5.x, locators are not supported within the GDB; https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geocoding/creating-an-address-locator.htm

What happens when you create the locator in a file folder.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DaveTenney

George, 

sorry if i wasnt clear, i stated that this locator does NOT exist in a gdb. i put that in there because i had seen a lot of talk about this being an issue for people. Again, the locator is not in a gdb, it is in a folder location all by itself.

thanks

dave

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ah, ok. I read your question incorrectly. When did this time frame change for the locator? Was there a massive update to the underlying data?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DaveTenney

the process runs monthly, on 3/5 it last ran and only took 3 minutes to complete.

we tried kick off the process this week and it failed, there is no major underlying change to the data. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

What happens if you create the locators to a local file folder on the machine, as a test? Is the time the same, 30+ minutes?

Was there any other process going on in the background (editing, GDB maintenance, etc.) during the locator creation?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DaveTenney

when I attempt to create the locator manually on the machine is "stalls", by that I mean it never finishes creating the locator. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

It may be best to contact Esri Technical Support and have an analyst take a look into the issue.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have suggestions enabled on the locator?

How many objects are in your source data?

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

Michael,

we are not using suggestions for our results, we found that was providing some pretty dangerous results so we strongly discouraged our client from using them until it was improved upon.

we have 3.5 million addresses for the locator. We did find that there were some issues with the machine so we have decided to step away from this issue until IT has a chance to dive into the machines. So we have moved onto our second issue which i commented on today, it was a thread you were previously involved with.

dave

0 Kudos