ArcMap 10.6 Reconcile & Post certain features for layers

06-05-2018 06:27 AM
JordanMiller4
Occasional Contributor III

Is anyone aware if it's possible to reconcile and post certain objects for particular layers? We have a version called GIS which is a child version of Default and we'd like to review certain jobs that our operators GPS out in the field and move them to the default. Maybe there is a better way to move objects between versions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount

Hi Jordan,

I see this is posted in the Enterprise section but this looks to be more of a Desktop editing workflow, at least the reconcile and post part. But let me know if I am off on any of my assumptions here.

It sounds like you are working with one feature class, called say GPS. That feature class has a child version of Default called GIS. The feature class has been published (to Server? Portal?) and the published Feature Layer is being used in an app like Collector to add new data and edit data in the field.

After they are done editing, they sync which brings down the changes to the underlying geodatabase and you are looking to perform the rec and post operation in Desktop correct? But you'd only like to rec and post a subset of the data? Like maybe OID's number 1-5? 

If my assumptions are correct, there is not a way to do this currently. When you reconcile and post you are working with all of the data in the given feature class. The objective being to first pull down any updates from the parent version (reconcile), find and then resolve any conflicts, and then push up changes from the child version (post). But it is done on the entire feature class.

Now, there may be some workflows you could use to get around this but it depends on a few things. For example, if you know that on a given day the workers in the field are going to be working on jobs A, B, and C then you could create child versions off of Default for those jobs. Then you could decide to only rec and post child version A and not the others. Or you could potentially split editing out into separate feature classes (and separate feature layers) to keep things separate? Just some thoughts. 

Hope that helps!

Jonathan

0 Kudos
JordanMiller4

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the reply! I think creating versions for every job would be overkill for us considering we'd have to publish the data each time and setup all the web maps in portal 20+ times each day. Probably not a good solution for us but maybe for others. I'm just surprised there's no solution to grabbing a subset of data, reviewing it, and then publish it to default. In my mind that's a logical solution because we have 15+ operators that are using the same child version data.

0 Kudos
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount

Hi Jordan,

Sorry, I wish I had a better answer here. However, I would suggest that you log this on the Ideas site if it is pretty important to you guys. I did a quick search and didn't find an existing idea. Those are reviewed by staff here so it may be worth the time to write up.

https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas 

0 Kudos
MarcGraham2

Idea is here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/15106-using-reconcile-post-with-subset-data

I have voted up as well. This is also useful for complex workflows such as the one in this blog post:https://community.esri.com/ideas/12994-approval-step-for-online-edits