Archiving with hosted feature layers

Jump to solution
03-17-2020 09:20 AM
BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

I have a dateset that requires archiving, I would like to publish it as a hosted feature layer but I don't see anyway to maintain or set new archiving options on a hosted feature layer. Is this possible? if so, how? if not, what is the alternative process for hosted feature layers?

For more context. I am collecting data that is audited by government regulators. They require that all instances of a record are retained. For example if I need to correct a data entry error both the original incorrect record and the corrected record have to be retained. Archiving is the best method for this.

To cut short some of the things I have tried:

Enabling editor tracking: This doesn't retain the previous values and if multiple edits have been made on a record only the last editor is retained.

Copy the correct data to a "clean" datasets. This has proven to be excessively technically difficult. My dateset has related tables, so if I crate a corrected copy of the record the relationship is lost.

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1

ArcGIS Pro 2.5

Many thanks,

Ben

P.S.

Search terms would also be helpful so don't hesitate if that is all you can contribute.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

You'll need an ArcGIS Server feature service rather than a hosted feature service.  The ArcGIS Server feature service will reference the feature class in your enterprise geodatabase, which you'll want to enable Archiving on. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Benjamin,

You'll need an ArcGIS Server feature service rather than a hosted feature service.  The ArcGIS Server feature service will reference the feature class in your enterprise geodatabase, which you'll want to enable Archiving on. 

BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jake,

Thank you very much for the response. Does this mean that archiving in AGOL is not possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, that is correct.  Archiving is not available with AGOL hosted feature services.

0 Kudos
BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you , that is very helpful.

0 Kudos