ArcGIS Server Logs for published services

01-26-2018 09:05 AM
MohammadIshfaq1
New Contributor II

Dear all,

We usually play with the published map services and resources logs via the ArcGIS Manager interface to check and change the settings for logging. As a good practice we set it to a non-root drive so, it can't accidently take-up all the drive space. However, I noticed that we have another location 'C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc\service\logs\' where service.log and service_error.log files are generated and they are taking up ~38GB of root drive space which is causing trouble in terms of how to manage it.

I tried to check ArcGIS Server documentation and the forum here if I can get any clue but couldn't find anything. Please share your thoughts if there is any way we can manage and control these log files and if there is any insight why are they growing so big in size as the ArcGIS Server should keep a check on them? 

We recently upgraded from AGS 10.3.1 to 10.5.1 on Windows 2012 R2, but I am sure the log files were there before upgrade as I checked them before starting upgrade. Thanks in advance for your help and time.

4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There are a number of errors that can be written to the service.log and service_error.log files, but the log file contents can be emptied whenever you see fit.  We made improvements at 10.6 so that those log files have a rollover capability.

rgmolina
New Contributor

Actually we have 10.8.1 and the structure keeps the same.
We offers system control to our clientes saving log files in a separtae partition an i t works fine, except for this none-parameter controlled log files.
What can we do? By the way, 10.9.1 seems to do the same behaivior.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
HillaryBjorstrom
Occasional Contributor

I am seeing this behavior in 10.8.1 as well. We also have our logs going to a different drive. i didn't even realize logs would be stored here.

0 Kudos
MoizIshfaq
New Contributor II

Thanks Jonathan for your quick reply. I will just reset them as you mentioned.

Can we configure them to a different drive location on the server?

0 Kudos