ArcGIS Server 10.2.1 on Windows Server 2016 or 2019?

09-16-2019 09:43 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone out there had success running ArcGIS Server 10.2.1 on Windows Server 2016 or 2019? I know these are not officially supported platforms for this dinosaur version of ArcGIS Server, but we need to stand up a new VM for this specific server version and our Data Center team REALLY wants us to only stand up 2016 or 2019 servers now.

I can probably fight the good fight to justify standing up a 2012 server, but I'm doing my due diligence and info gathering first.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Why can't you upgrade AGS to a version that is supported on Windows Server 2016?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We currently have several departments using ArcFM 10.2.1d and this version is only compatible with ArcGIS 10.2.1. Our Enterprise environment is a mix of ArcGIS 10.2.1 and 10.4.1 Desktop users, and we currently publish 10.2.1 ArcFMified map services to our 10.4.1 servers by utilizing the ArcFM Object Reader for Server. However, we've been experiencing some "weirdness" with the ArcFM services at 10.4.1, and we've done testing in a 10.2.1 Dev environment that seems to fix the weirdness. So, we're now going to add a 10.2.1 server to our Prod environment, and need to stand up a new VM in order to do so.

Also, we are not quite ready to upgrade to ArcFM 10.6.1 which is compatible with ArcGIS 10.6.1 and later Windows Server versions, so we're pretty much stuck at 10.2.1 for the time being.

ravaliallam
New Contributor

Hi, We have the same requirement. Could you tell me if you had any luck installing ArcGIS 10.2 on Windows server 2016? Thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ravali. Unfortunately due to a time crunch, I ended up installing on Windows Server 2012 R2, so I'm unable to report success or not.

Along the lines of what George Thompson mentioned below, I have a feeling that you could install it on a 2016 server, but there may be issues. If I had more time I was going to test out the 10.2.1/2016 deployment in Dev and just see how it went. If you're able to test it out, I'd definitely be interested to hear how it goes for you.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you are installing 10.2.1, make sure to install the latest Utility patch also for Server: ArcGIS 10.2.1 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) Utilities and Telecom Update 9 Patch and other Security patches: Esri Support ArcGIS Server 10.2 (10.2.1, 10.2.2) be sure to change the version to 10.2.1

Here is the link to the system requirements for 10.2.x Server: System Requirements 

I would say that staying on a tested (previously supported) O/S version would be critical for success. You probably can install it on Windows Server 2016 but there may be some issues, especially since the Esri software came out before Windows Server 2016 did.

Electric and Gas

--- George T.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the info George.

0 Kudos