ArcGIS Pro Solutions Deployment and SQL

10-11-2017 01:07 PM
ChrisDolberg
New Contributor

We just recently deployed our hosted ArcGIS Portal pointed towards our LGIM SQL database as a managed database and I can't publish any solutions using the deployment tool.  I see the following error message every time:

I just got off the phone with ESRI support and he said that the managed database for Portal can't be a SQL database, you have to be using the ArcGIS Data Store. He also said we can set one up but that it won't hook into SQL. Any changes made to the data in SQL after a solution has been deployed to the ArcGIS DS won't be reflected until you re-deploy the solution. He said that I can still use ArcMap to deploy the solutions manually but what am I supposed to do in the future? Aren't we supposed to be moving towards ArcGIS Pro? Our entire ESRI environment was just deployed using the SQL LGIM.

Is there anyone out there that is using ArcGIS Pro with SQL and is deploying solutions with the deployment tool?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I think that the analyst may have misunderstood your question.

You can still publish a web layer "by reference" with PRO.  You still need to register SQL Server with ArcGIS, just not as a "managed database" that data is copied into at publish time. When you go to share the map as a web layer, choose the option to 'reference registered data' instead of using the 'copy all data' option. This way all of your data still lives in SQL Server.

0 Kudos