ArcGIS for Server – w3wp.exe Causing 100% CPU Usage

11-17-2015 08:28 AM
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS for Server:  In-place upgrade from 10.2.2 to 10.3.1
Virtual Server - Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
24GB RAM and 4 CPUs

Prior to the upgrades, we took a snapshot of the virtual server as our backup plan.
We performed an in-place upgrade of ArcGIS for Server from 10.2.2 to 10.3.1.
We then uninstalled ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) 10.2.2 and rebooted the server.
Finally, we installed and configured ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) 10.3.1.

Following the upgrades, existing map services, REST services and permissions were running and behaving as expected.

However, shortly after completion of the upgrades the CPU Usage for the server spiked to 100% and stayed there.  The process that was spiking the CPU was:
Image Name = w3wp.exe
User Name = ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool

I right-clicked on the w3wp process and clicked on the End Process option and the CPU would settle down to normal levels.  Within 2-20 minutes, the w3wp process would be consuming all the CPU again.  I had no idea what caused this behavior and had no idea how to stop it.

Our map services are very critical for staff getting their jobs done, so we have since rolled our ArcGIS Server configuration back to 10.2.2 using the saved snapshot.  I am, therefore, unable to look at settings that may have been changed by the installation of 10.3.1 components in order to replay to anyone who may reply to this thread.

I am curious if anyone else has seen this behavior following an upgrade of ArcGIS for Server?  We don’t have a complex system setup and typically these upgrades go flawlessly for us.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies