Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS for Server Mobile Maps

01-24-2013 01:28 PM
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Currently it is possible to create Mobile Maps using REST (http://localhost/ArcGIS/Mobile/Content/MobileWeb/Maps).
While it works, this is a little bit manual and errors in JSON do occur quite often.

I believe that the Map being created by the REST endpoint is very close in structure with a WebMap from ArcGIS Online. I know that Esri is being pushing a lot AGS Online WebMaps but what happens to organizations that do not want to rely on AGS Online/Portal?

Will ArcGIS for Server ever provide a backoffice (UI) for creating services/maps for Mobile? Or we will have to continue creating them using the REST API? Hope not.

One current limitation is that if I publish a Map for Mobile in ArcGIS for Server I don't have a way of applying any sort of security to each individual Map I am creating...

Because of that, whenever a client/organization login to ArcGIS for Server I don't have a way of restricting the content just for that user. This is very clear when using the ArcGIS native app built for iOS, Android and Windows devices. If I connect to a GIS Server (instead of AGS Online) the app will list all Mobile Maps registered in ArcGIS for Server which is definetely not wanted.

Considering that at version 10.1 this support still does not exist, I hope that Esri starts applying more efforts in ArcGIS for Server because it is more important than ArcGIS Online which is just a CMS.

I am being forced to adopt AGS Online just because of the backoffice for managing the WebMaps (including security, etc) and also because most recent apps only work with AGS Online (example Collector and Operations Dashboard).

Hope that my assessment is wrong and that Esri has these features ready to be incorporated in the next service packs.

Regards,
Jose
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MattLane
Frequent Contributor
I think there are some very important points brought up in this thread, and the lack of responses from ESRI may be very telling.

In another thread (http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/63757-quot-Map-is-not-shared-quot-error-ArcGis-10.1-IOS-app-2.3.1?p...) I asked about disabling the default security because I shouldn't have to pass out logins to the general public for things I want to be easily available. I did what was suggested but discovered it means everyone has administrative access to the mobile content endpoint. That is obviously unacceptable.

I would love to see ESRI mature the ArcGIS for Server mobile content endpoint a bit more.
0 Kudos
JadeFreeman
Frequent Contributor
I too would really like to hear from ESRI on this!  Our university has very strict rules about using cloud services which at this point basically equate to completely prohibiting them.  In other words, we can't use ArcGIS online.  I've used it to create the JSON which I then serve on our mobile content server but as the previous poster found out, you end up giving everyone administrative privileges.
0 Kudos
VishApte
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Is there any update on this? I too need to apply security to mobile maps pushed to Mobile Content Server. The REST end point is too thin. The documentation mentions "Securing a mobile service is like securing a map service or any other service by protecting your data from unauthorized access". However, there is no way to apply security at folder level or service level. Users have download access to all mobile maps.

We have a pressing requirement where client sub-contracts survey projects. The sub-contractor should be able to see only those maps for which contract is awarded to him. It does not seem to be possible with standard configuration. I am more than happy to be wrong.

Regards,
Vish
0 Kudos
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Unfortunately the ArcGIS for Server Maps for Mobile does not have any future at this point. I strongly recommend you to adopt ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS. These products provide you all the functionality you require.

If you want to support security on the ArcGIS Server Mobile Maps in a seamlessly manner you have to implement the coding. Fortunately, is not that much.

You can secure ArcGIS for Server using AD (as an example). This will secure both the traditional REST endpoints as the Mobile Maps. The difference between both is that the Mobile Maps use a cookie for persisting the security key and ArcGIS for Server uses a token on the URL.

You can request the ArcGIS for Server Mobile Server login endpoint using you AD account and get the token associated with your user. Then, you can use that token as a cookie in the next request (for getting the Mobile Maps content), and the request will be authorised.

They both use the same Identity store.

Cheers,
Jose
0 Kudos