ArcGIS Datastore

Jump to solution
11-06-2019 11:09 AM
PamelaLandy
Occasional Contributor

I have 03 servers (w2016 -16GB RAM) for my GIS Server, Portal and IIS implementation.
In which of all should you install the ArcGISDatastore (relational only) to get better performance? , until then I can configure my datastore on its own server.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Pamela Landy,

Hello and good morning! My name is Joe and I work in Esri Support Services.

Until you're able to get a fourth machine for Data Store, I would recommend installing Data Store on the ArcGIS Server machine. The reason for the suggestion is that I assume you're going to specify this ArcGIS Server as the Hosting Server. If this is correct, it would make sense to me for Data Store and ArcGIS Server to share a machine to complete the "Hosting Server" package, which includes both Data Store and ArcGIS Server.

With that being said, I would ensure that this machine is able to support both Data Store and ArcGIS Server. The minimum RAM requirement for ArcGIS Server is 8 GB (ArcGIS Server 10.7.x system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | Documentation for A...) and the minimum RAM requirement for Data Store is 9 GB (ArcGIS Data Store 10.7.x system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | Documentation f...). Based off of the requirements, it seems that this machine wouldn't meet the requirement for the time being. If this is a VM, I would recommend that you increase the RAM on the Server/Data Store machine until you're able to get the fourth machine for Data Store.

It's also important to take into account disc space on the Server/Data Store machine as well.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out.

Joe

View solution in original post

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi Pamela,

Joe's comments are logical, but..

It sounds like you dont really have a large expected load (as may require a separate machine for Data Store - and maybe a dedicated Tile Cache Data Store (if lots of 3D scenes). In that case, you may be able to leverage "spare" capacity on your Portal Server and install Data Store there. This way, you may be able to save the cost of server resizing.

We have successfully setup  a few sites where we distribute the load by installing the Data Store on the same machine as the Portal. 

The real grunt work is normally being done by ArcGIS Server, and Portal itself is a fairly lightweight collection of executables. Data Store does use a not insignificant amount of memory as Joe pointed out, but I would say Portal machine with 16 GB available can spare 9 GB of that for Data Store.

There is no networking or other reason (provided you have internal firewalls open on the VMs for the data store ports) that would cause this to work significantly slower than being on the same VM as the Hosting Server.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Pamela Landy,

Hello and good morning! My name is Joe and I work in Esri Support Services.

Until you're able to get a fourth machine for Data Store, I would recommend installing Data Store on the ArcGIS Server machine. The reason for the suggestion is that I assume you're going to specify this ArcGIS Server as the Hosting Server. If this is correct, it would make sense to me for Data Store and ArcGIS Server to share a machine to complete the "Hosting Server" package, which includes both Data Store and ArcGIS Server.

With that being said, I would ensure that this machine is able to support both Data Store and ArcGIS Server. The minimum RAM requirement for ArcGIS Server is 8 GB (ArcGIS Server 10.7.x system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | Documentation for A...) and the minimum RAM requirement for Data Store is 9 GB (ArcGIS Data Store 10.7.x system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | Documentation f...). Based off of the requirements, it seems that this machine wouldn't meet the requirement for the time being. If this is a VM, I would recommend that you increase the RAM on the Server/Data Store machine until you're able to get the fourth machine for Data Store.

It's also important to take into account disc space on the Server/Data Store machine as well.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out.

Joe

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi Pamela,

Joe's comments are logical, but..

It sounds like you dont really have a large expected load (as may require a separate machine for Data Store - and maybe a dedicated Tile Cache Data Store (if lots of 3D scenes). In that case, you may be able to leverage "spare" capacity on your Portal Server and install Data Store there. This way, you may be able to save the cost of server resizing.

We have successfully setup  a few sites where we distribute the load by installing the Data Store on the same machine as the Portal. 

The real grunt work is normally being done by ArcGIS Server, and Portal itself is a fairly lightweight collection of executables. Data Store does use a not insignificant amount of memory as Joe pointed out, but I would say Portal machine with 16 GB available can spare 9 GB of that for Data Store.

There is no networking or other reason (provided you have internal firewalls open on the VMs for the data store ports) that would cause this to work significantly slower than being on the same VM as the Hosting Server.

PamelaLandy
Occasional Contributor

Hello, effectively installed my AGDstore, before asking it, on the portal server because I thought that the AGServer is always too loaded with so much process and always reminds me of the javaw and arcgissoc processes ...? , although later remember that they are only generated when they are services that are not hosted, but I still have the idea of many processes in memory.
I only use relational datastore and basically for the survey and dashboard applications published in my enterprise and hosted in AGDStore.
I just have to wait for my new server to arrive.
Any recommendations of virtualizer ?. It is fine that vbox is used for enterprise servers, for license cost.