Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Data Store upgrade 10.7.1 to 11.3 failed to upgrade PostgreSQL relational data store

Jump to solution
09-05-2024 11:43 AM
JamesBrattonVHB
Emerging Contributor

I upgraded ArcGIS Enterprise from 10.7.1 to 11.3.  Every upgrade (Portal, Server, web adaptors, Data Store) reported success on the upgrade.  When I validate the relational data store, it fails with the error message: 

JamesBrattonVHB_0-1725560573328.png

When I run describedatastore, it says the data store is 11.3.0.51575.

Checking the log files, I see

JamesBrattonVHB_1-1725561427559.png

JamesBrattonVHB_2-1725561520724.png

If I connect to the relational data store, it says that the database is version 10.7.1.  I tried to connect with ArcGIS Pro, but it fails to connect with error: Database Connection: FDO error: -2147216086.  So it appears that the Data Store upgraded to 11.3, but the underlying relational data store is still at 10.7.1.  How can I get that database upgraded or get it to validate properly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesBrattonVHB
Emerging Contributor

Esri says that it has worked for some customers to execute C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DataStore\bin\gdbupgrade.exe.  This did not work in my situation.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey @JamesBrattonVHB 

Due to the complexities of the Datastore, I try to refrain from putting out guesses and suggestions that may cause data loss, the most I'd recommend to try is a restart, but I'm sure that it won't fix it. My current suggestion would be to reach out to ESRI support, this is definitely something an expert should check out.

Cody

0 Kudos
JamesBrattonVHB
Emerging Contributor

Thanks.  I have tried a repair, service restart, and server reboot.  The data store is still not validating.  I've opened a ticket with Esri too.

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey James as Cody mentioned for certainity it is good to keep several backups, ideally a content backup and cold machine backup.

If possible I would try restoring back to 10.7.1 and then testing an upgrade to 10.9.1. There are a lot of functional changes and this is the generally recommended update pattern.

Hope that helps,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
JamesBrattonVHB
Emerging Contributor

I heard back from Esri today.  This is a bug that is fixed in 11.4.  I understand that I could go through 2 upgrades to get to 11.3, but I was wondering if anyone knew a way to upgrade the database directly.  I suspect that users may have made changes after the 11.3 upgrade, and I want to avoid losing data.  BUG-000169801 for ArcGIS Data Store (esri.com)

0 Kudos
JustinS
Esri Contributor

@JamesBrattonVHB, generally speaking, it's atypical to upgrade ArcGIS Datastore outside of our publicly documented workflow(s). I think it's probably best to continue working with Support.

0 Kudos
JamesBrattonVHB
Emerging Contributor

Esri says that it has worked for some customers to execute C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DataStore\bin\gdbupgrade.exe.  This did not work in my situation.  

0 Kudos