ArcGIS Data Store setup

03-15-2018 04:31 PM
JamesLugosi
New Contributor

Hey folks, we are trying to implement a 3 tiered Enterprise system

1. ArcGIS Server on one machine (with WebAdapter)
  2. ArcGIS Portal on a second machine (with WebAdapter)
  3. ArcGIS Data Store on a third machine

With some minor difficulties we were able to get ArcGIS Server and Portal talking with each other.  Also, we successfully published map services to Portal.  However, we are unable to get the Data Store configured correctly.  Installation and setup went just fine, but we are unsure of how to tell Portal/Server to utilize the Data Store.

Also, we federated our ArcGIS Server prior to adding the Data Store via Server Manager.  Could this be the problem?  I'm not even sure we have to specify a Data Store in ArcGIS Server because the options for a "managed database" expect a .sde file.

Any thoughts/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - this is being done internally and we are using 10.5.1

Jim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you use the ArcGIS Data Store Configuration Wizard or the configuredatastore command line tool to register the Data Store with Server? Once you do that, you can set the federated server you registered the Data Store with as the hosting server.

Tutorial: Set up a base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Steps 8, 9, and 10 describe this workflow.

0 Kudos
JamesLugosi
New Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  The article you sent was informative but did not solve our issue.  As I mentioned in the initial thread, we had federated our ArcGIS Server prior to setting up ArcGIS Data Store.  This was the main issue.  According to tech support we should not have been able to federate the server.  To rectify the issue, we had to unfederate the server, reinstall the Data Store, and federate our ArcGIS Server again.  Then, we were able to add it as the hosting server.

Our setup is a 3 tiered system that sits internally and we are "not" using a domain account.  This may also cause issue further down the road, especially when we try to publish a service and utilize the Data Store.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm surprised that you can't federate Server or set it as the hosting server if you've registered the Data Store prior to federating. The Portal only cares if the Data Store is registered once you select it to be the hosting server, and a check is only done at the time of setting it to be the hosting server.

There shouldn't be a problem with a distributed environment as the components will use http requests or communicate directly with the Data Store, both of which are irrespective of the user running the software. Once you want to run the DR tool or set up highly available components, then you may have problems.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

So I tested this on my end and didn't see any problems:

1) Install Portal, Server, two web adaptors, and Data Store

2) Create the Portal and Server site

3) Register one web adaptor with Portal and the other web adaptor with Server

4) Register the Data Store with Server

5) Federate Portal and Server and set the Server as the hosting server.

Not sure what was going on initially, but in any case, glad it's sorted for you.

0 Kudos
JamesLugosi
New Contributor

The issue was that we did not have the Data Store installed/configured prior to federating the server.

Now that we fixed that issue resolved, and I see that the Data Store is validated in ArcGIS Server Manager, how do you publish using the Data Store?

I've created a map document using ArcMap.  The datasource is from our SDE envrionment.  When I go to share the map (publish as a service) it still wants to copy the data across instead of using the configured Data Store.  Am I missing something?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Is the SDE database registered as a data store for your Server? If not, (which it doesn't appear to be, based on your screenshot unless things are cut off), it'll ask to copy data to the Server. You should register the SDE database as a data store and then let any data that isn't in a registered location, (or can't be registered) be copied to the Server during publishing time.

0 Kudos