Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Data Store 11.1 - Install Knowledge Graph Patch - JRE Folder is Empty

Jump to solution
06-29-2023 11:43 PM
asergio
New Contributor III

Hi.

In a specific customer when i try to install the ArcGIS Data Store 11.1 Knowledge Graph Patch in Windows Server 2022, using patchnotification command line tool or using the ArcGIS Enterprise Patch Notification tool the installation gives an error and causes the JRE folder to be empty.

To get the Data Store working again, I have to copy the JRE folder "..\ArcGIS\DataStore\framework\runtime\jre" from another client with ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1.

This seems to be occurring in ArcGIS Data Store 11.1 installations that have not enabled ArcGIS Data Store 11.1 Knowledge Graph, in this case only have the relational and the tile cache, but the  patchnotification tool doesn't validate that and tries to install anyway.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Thanks,

Antonio Sergio

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asergio
New Contributor III

As an update, I tried to install the patch in question by downloading it manually from Esri's support site: https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-data-store-11-1-knowledge-graph-patch-810....

When installing the patch, in the course of the installation process a window appears requesting what appears to be the ArcGIS DataStore installation setup (C:\Software\ArcGIS 11.1\ArcGISDataStore\SetupFiles\), and the process fails and leaves the ArcGIS DataStore inoperable with the JRE folder empty.

asergio_0-1688588140295.png

I made a datastore backup , unregistered the ArcGIS Data Store from ArcGIS Server, uninstalled the ArcGIS Data Store and reinstalled, put back the datastore backup....installed the patch and now it installed correctly and without any problems.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

Hi Antonio,

I don't have the Knowledge graph stored enabled but I'm able to see this directory:

A_Wyn_Jones_0-1688380497401.png

As you can see, the patch has been applied successfully too.

Were your installations interrupted? It appears that the installation itself has corrupted and I would suggest running the installer in repair mode to, hopefully, restore this directory. 

Additionally, this could be due to any AntiVirus you have running whilst the install/upgrade was taking place

Hope this helps.

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."
0 Kudos
asergio
New Contributor III

Hi A_Wyn_Jones.

The ArcGIS DataStore is working normally and being used, so I see no need to perform any repair on the installation, and additionally this server does not have any antivirus installed, only Microsoft Windows Defender enabled with the default exceptions below:

asergio_1-1688381755628.png

As I mentioned, when i installed the patch using the ArcGIS Enterprise Patch Notification tool the installation gives an error and in sequence the ArcGIS Data Store stopped working and the ArcGIS Data Store windows service was immediately stopped. After much research etc.. i saw that the JRE folder was empty, and then i copied  that folder from an ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 from another client, in sequence the ArcGIS Data Store  worked again.

I restarted the server , and i tried again to install the same patch with the patchnotification command line tool and the result was the same, the JRE folder became empty again

The test you did was on a clean 11.1 installation? Since all other installations of ArcGIS DataStore 11.1 that we have are the result of upgrades, where  the Knowledge Graph is available by default in the upgrade process.

11.1 clean installation:

asergio_0-1688381583767.png

11.1 upgrade installation:

asergio_2-1688382358458.png

Thanks,

António Sérgio

0 Kudos
dky
by
New Contributor III

Hi @A_Wyn_Jones 

I am experiencing the exact same issue as @asergio (perfectly) documented.

The differences between my environment and @asergio :

• aws cloudbuilder (windows) deployment of 11.0
  • aws cloudbuilder (windows) upgrade to 11.1
  • fresh deployment
  • also don't have knowledge graph data store enabled

I was doing some scheduled maintenance work: I applied the "ArcGIS Data Store 11.1 Knowledge Graph Patch" (via Check for ArcGIS Enterprise Updates tool on the server) to a newly deployed environment. I didn't thoroughly check and moved on ...

Not knowing it was this patch (and forgetting to check), I updated another environment  (which unfortunately was hosting production services) and now have two identical environments with exactly identical result -- hosed jre. I unfortunately also do not have anymore 11.1 environments to get a clean jre from; so i grabbed the jre inside the datastore installer to perform the backup then unregistered the ArcGIS Data Store from ArcGIS Server, uninstalled the ArcGIS Data Store and reinstalled, put back the datastore backup. I'm skipping the patch for now.

Would this be enough to indicate there's a problem with the patch ?

Thanks,
Derek

JonasPersson
New Contributor II

Hi!
Still a problem as it seems.
I accidentally ran this patch via Check for ArcGIS Enterprise Updates tool. And the datastore installation was ruined as described above. 

0 Kudos
asergio
New Contributor III

As an update, I tried to install the patch in question by downloading it manually from Esri's support site: https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-data-store-11-1-knowledge-graph-patch-810....

When installing the patch, in the course of the installation process a window appears requesting what appears to be the ArcGIS DataStore installation setup (C:\Software\ArcGIS 11.1\ArcGISDataStore\SetupFiles\), and the process fails and leaves the ArcGIS DataStore inoperable with the JRE folder empty.

asergio_0-1688588140295.png

I made a datastore backup , unregistered the ArcGIS Data Store from ArcGIS Server, uninstalled the ArcGIS Data Store and reinstalled, put back the datastore backup....installed the patch and now it installed correctly and without any problems.