Arc Server Log Messages - There is an error during the draw (1.) Unspecified error & Unable to process request. bytes

07-10-2017 09:06 PM
VassiliosFrederikos
New Contributor

I keep receiving the same two persistent log messages / errors in Server Manager 10.2.1 and it seems to be related to a single cached Map Service.

There is an error during the draw (1.) Unspecified error

Unable to process request. bytes

As you can see below the log is consistently repeating every 30 mins or so. Admittedly my Server Manager maybe overloaded as there are about 75 services running on 5 clustered servers but generally speaking my services are working fine including the service receiving errors mentioned above, as I have not received any feedback to make me think otherwise.

Has anyone had similar issues? And how were you able to resolve this?

Can anyone help, please?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ReginaDaas
New Contributor

I also am experiencing the same error messages.  What is this?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have any idea what the data source is that is causing the error (e.g. SDE database, file geodatabase, shapefile, etc.)?

0 Kudos
ReginaDaas
New Contributor

THANK YOU for email. I went back to message on GeoNet but didn’t see where to reply. The datasource is Enterprise Geodatabase also v 10.3.1. It’s a SQL Server 2012 db. I am not getting the draw error, only the unable to process request bytes. It is the javaw.exe ArcGIS process (below) any ideas? Much oblige[cid:image001.png@01D327E1.79527BD0]

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you actually see any issues with the rendering of the mapservice?  I have some different but similar types of error messages in AGS Manager, but I do not see any mapservice rendering issues so it is not a high priority.

I'm wondering if my RAC Oracle 12c database (load balanced for high availability) loses connectivity with the AGS environment where it is load-balanced between 2 virtual servers and these errors then get generated in AGS Manager.

Are you working in a mult-server AGS site where AGS handles the load balancing between AGS servers?

0 Kudos
ReginaDaas
New Contributor

Mike,

I follow you. No Issues rendering, check it out http://maps.coj.net/DuvalProperty . We have SQL Server and our load-balance is F5 that do balance 2 virtual webservers that have the web adaptor to a 3 ArcGIS server site plus file server for the config store & directories. Our network seems to be good. Heck, I still have a legacy ArcIMS map site our users refuse to get off because it runs so well, and if there ever was a network ‘sensitive’ app, its ArcIMS. I just got a boost of resources to 48GB of RAM and 8 processor to carry me through my surge of traffic due to Irma. It is with the surge of traffic these errors are much more prevalent. Oh no I just found ArcGIS server fault exe errors in Event Viewer.

I see you have a esri.com email. By chance you tech support where you can open a case? I got to follow this one through, even if in the end I’m told to upgrade ☺

Thank You

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I'd suggest increasing the logging level for a bit to determine what part of the draw process is throwing that error.  For example if I assume the request that is failing is an export map request, search for Example: ExportMapImage in the link below:

Map service log codes—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You can take a look at the different messages in the logs to determine exactly what it's doing before the error is returned.

VassiliosFrederikos
New Contributor

Hi Jonathan, Michael and thanks for the reply,

These errors are still present and I had looked at the Service Log Codes but it has not really identified any obvious cause.

9003 - Could not find a service with the name "{0}" in the configured clusters.

103800 – Layer Drawing Error, Indicates that a drawing error has occurred.

I am still at lost why this error is occuring, the Service is workin fine and the refresh rate is excellent. The only thing that maybe causing an issue is that the data is in a different datum / projection to the mxd/service (GDA94/MGA to Web Mercator). But I have other services which have the same configation and they do not throw up errors.

My dat is mostly sitting in an Oracle 11G db, expect for about half a dozen which are in registered folder within a file geodatabase.

Happy to hear any suggestions at this stage!

And thank you.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Is WMS enabled on this service? This isn't an authoritative answer because I don't know all of the specifics, but the error sounds like this is related to an issue that's fixed in 10.6:

[#NIM094562 When submitting a GetMap request to a Web Map Service (WMS) service based on a cached map service, if there are no tiles in the extent of the GetMap request, the WMS service draws dynamically and an error is recorded in the ArcGIS GIS Server log file.]

What you will need:
-ArcGIS Server
-Cached map service with WMS enabled
-ArcGIS Desktop 10.1

Steps to reproduce:
1) Publish a map service with WMS enabled
2) Create a cache for the map service and make sure to generate tiles only in a specific area of interest or at certain scales
3) When viewing this map service using the map service endpoint note that the data will only draw in areas where tiles have been generated. Other areas remain blank.
4) Create a WMS connection within ArcMap to the WMS service
5) View the WMS service and note that the service will draw in areas where no tiles have been generated.
6) Check the ArcGIS Server log and note that you will see the following error for each GetMap request that requests an image in an area where tiles do not exist "There is an error during the draw(1.) Unspecified error"

This issue can cause problems if a person was attempting to follow the work flow outlined here (http://support.esri.com/fr/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/36939) to have a missing tile appear in areas with no tiles available. Essentially, their service will draw in areas that they did not design it to draw.

0 Kudos