Hey folks. I have, forever, assumed that the annual maintenance we pay for our ArcGIS Server commercial license was required. However, I've now realized it is not. I mean, the first year of maintenance was included, but after that, we can opt to not pay annual maintenance.
I'd like to know the pros and cons of the maintenance. Maybe via war-story examples from folks that opted to not pay maintenance and learned the hard way what sort of mistake that can be, or alternately, how not paying maintenance turned out to be a perfectly acceptable solution for someone else.
In general, the most obvious con for us is cost. But I'd love to read other thoughts on this!
Moreover, one detail that is not clear is if you buy additional cores for server, is there a maintenance fee for those?
If you paid maintenance for the server, but not the additional cores, what would happen?
Thanks for any input folks!
I can mention a couple quick thoughts...(may add more later). FYI - I have been the maintainer of our licenses for 33+ years (from back in the ArcInfo Workstation 3.0 days thru all the Enterprise stuff).
- if you do not maintain it and decide that in 3 or 4 years you want to upgrade, you basically have to pay all the back maintenace and sometimes are better off just buying a new license.
- no "included" tech support (I think you can purchase per incident support)....although geonet is here
- any ArcGIS Online (not sure about Portal) named users that are ties to the Enterprise/Server license will go away.
Pros: with maintenance, you get
- access to the latest software updates;
- access to participate in software early adopter and beta programs;
- unlimited access to all of Esri's e-learning resources, https://www.esri.com/training/unlimited-esri-training/
Hope this helps,
We're kicking around this idea ourselves. If we were going to opt out here's why:
That said, we really like AGO. We would continue to pay for AGO accounts.