"The dataset will be copied to the server" message

Jump to solution
04-29-2014 12:19 PM
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II
I have an mxd file that I want to publish, all the layers and tables in the map document are reading data from a database connection (Its name is ???Q???), I registered this database connection (Server properties>>data store). When I start publishing this service, the message that says ???dataset will be copied to the server??? appears, in spite of registering this database!!!! How can I publish the service without copying the data to the server?

Notes:

1-I stopped the ArcGIS server service and started it, and the machine was rebooted, but the message is still appearing.
2-My machine is not connected to other machines.

Regards,

Hani

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33450[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33451[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

I think this could be your answer... let me know...

From the Esri help section 00090: <value> requires a registered database:

You may encounter this analyzer even though the source enterprise geodatabase or enterprise database has already been registered with the server. The reason for this is that the connection properties (user name, password, version, and so on) used by a layer or stand-alone table referencing the source enterprise geodatabase do not match the connection properties of the enterprise geodatabase registered with the server. In this case, you not only register an enterprise geodatabase, you also register the connection to the geodatabase. Registration is required for each separate connection.
For example, say you have an enterprise geodatabase named DB1 that has two versions: default and v1. You only register the connection to DB1 using the default version. If you attempt to publish a map containing layers or stand-alone tables pointing to the v1 version, and you have not registered this connection to DB1, you will encounter this analyzer. This would also occur if you have different connections to the geodatabase using different user names.

Source: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00sq000000m4000000

Can you verify that all layers and tables referenced in your map document contain the same connection properties used by the enterprise geodatabase registered with ArcGIS for Server?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Wayne_Whitley

The ArcGIS Server account must have at least read access to your data, including that housed in your database.
Having said that, are you using 'operating system authentication'?  See this:

"The ArcGIS Server account needs to have at least read permissions to any data in folders that you use in your services, and any data in databases that you access using operating system authentication."
Making_your_data_accessible_to_ArcGIS_Server

For example, in my organization I will eventually upgrade my enterprise gdb, then migrate to ArcGIS for Server 10.2.x, where I'll have to register the database.  But since I use os authentication, my currently used SOC account from my 10.0 production server already has access to SQL Server.  So, I have the option to use this SOC account as the ArcGIS Server account.  Then, more explicitly stated on the provided webhelp page:

"If your data will be accessed through OS authentication, you must add the ArcGIS Server account to the database, then grant it permissions to the resources that it needs to access. When the service runs, it will log in to the DBMS as the ArcGIS Server account."
0 Kudos
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II
Dear T. Wayne Whitley,

I am using Database Authentication, and I gave the ArcGIS for Server Account read and modify permissions, but that didn't solved the problem. It appears that the database is not treated as "registered", because I enabled feature access capability to the service, but this time the error that says "The database in not registered". Shown below in screenshots.

1- All the permissions are given to ArcGIS for Server Account.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33458[/ATTACH]

2- Feature Access capability is enabled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33460[/ATTACH]

3- The error appears.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33461[/ATTACH]

4- Data store Registration page.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33462[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think this could be your answer... let me know...

From the Esri help section 00090: <value> requires a registered database:

You may encounter this analyzer even though the source enterprise geodatabase or enterprise database has already been registered with the server. The reason for this is that the connection properties (user name, password, version, and so on) used by a layer or stand-alone table referencing the source enterprise geodatabase do not match the connection properties of the enterprise geodatabase registered with the server. In this case, you not only register an enterprise geodatabase, you also register the connection to the geodatabase. Registration is required for each separate connection.
For example, say you have an enterprise geodatabase named DB1 that has two versions: default and v1. You only register the connection to DB1 using the default version. If you attempt to publish a map containing layers or stand-alone tables pointing to the v1 version, and you have not registered this connection to DB1, you will encounter this analyzer. This would also occur if you have different connections to the geodatabase using different user names.

Source: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00sq000000m4000000

Can you verify that all layers and tables referenced in your map document contain the same connection properties used by the enterprise geodatabase registered with ArcGIS for Server?
0 Kudos
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
I see you're using a direct connect to SQL Server but you don't show anything that indicates what you've done in SQL Server to grant full privileges to the ArcGIS Server account.  I'd check that and this may be obvious but I think you need a license higher than Basic.  Also review the doc on the error code:

00090: <value> requires a registered database
Desktop » Mapping » Publishing map services » Technical guide for map services » Prepare window messages
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00sq000000m4000000

Wayne

PS- Unless you're just testing, it's probably not a good idea to publish anything using the sa account.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: hanidraidi

Dear Wayne and William, thanks a lot, I have no layers referenced to the versions, and to make sure I deleted all versions, but that didn't resolve the problem. By chance, I used "Import" instead of "Add and entering the instance, the logins, and the database connection" in register database (Server Properties>>Data Store>>+>> Import) and that worked, and I made sure that using "Add" will not register the database properly and cause this error but I don't know why!!!!

Regards,

Hani

Note: I am working on a test machine, not on the production one. Wayne, Thank you very much for your attention.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm glad it worked.  Yes, using import guarantees that you're using a specific set of connection properties from an existing SDE connection file rather than manually inputting them.  If that is the same connection file you use for your layers and tables in the map document, then everything should work fine from there.... which it sounds like is the case.  Thanks for posting your results!
0 Kudos