Select to view content in your preferred language

Altering SERVER_CONFIG parameters ArcSDE 10.2

Jump to solution
12-18-2014 04:29 PM
GeoffreyWest
Frequent Contributor

I have an ArcSDE connection that's accepting a maximum of 64 instances.  I would like to change it to 128.  I have followed the script from the resource center but receive the error below.  My inclination is that there was a 10.1 SDE instance installed previously.  We are using 10.2 now.   What's the best way to go about this?

sdeCapture.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I never use SDO. Tech Support might be able to steer you to the right set of flags, but editing the SDE_server_config table might be your easier course of action:

USE SCData
go
UPDATE dbo.SDE_server_config
SET num_prop_value = 128
WHERE prop_name = 'CONNECTIONS'
go

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
VinceAngelo

While it may be possible to use a 10.1 SP1 application server against a 10.2 instance, you'd have less difficulty if you always match the application server binaries to the geodatabase instance release.

Without the parameters you've used, all I can say is "You're using the command incorrectly."  It is possible to use Direct Connnect syntax, but that's dependent on the database, and you haven't provided that either.

The 64 client limit exists because there's a hard limit in Windows somewhere between 68 and 74 application server clients.  Since 10.3 has no application servers, the default count is unlimited.

I recommend you:

1. Install an application server that matches the current geodatabase
  2. Post information about the RDBMS type and version, along with enough of the connection  details that we can help you fashion the proper command-line syntax.

The only other option is to edit the SDE table with the CONNECTIONS property, and change it to 128.

- V

GeoffreyWest
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Vince, I have installed the correct ArcSDE Server Application 10.2.1.

After some investigation I have noticed SDE isn't registered properly.

I used the sdeservice -o list and got the message the service doesn't exist or isn't registered properly.

I would a.) like to create an 10.2.1 SDE Service for my SQL Server 2008 R2 DB.  b.) change the CONNECTIONS property from 64 to 128.

the script that I have used to attempt to create a service has thrown errors back at me as well; I suppose this is just syntax.

sdeservice -o create SQLSERVER,localhost -p myPassword -h sdedirectory -i sdesvc -u sa -P myPassword

My question is does my sdedirectory reference my SDE directory on my servers c drive? i.e. C:\ESRI\ESRI ArcGIS10.2.1 Software\ArcSDEsqlServer?

After getting the service started it should be fairly straight forward to change the properties.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

Unfortunately, you've gone about this the difficult way.  It's not necessary to install a service to use command-line utilities (and the service hasn't been fully configured, so it wouldn't work anyway).  I apologize if my incomplete wording ("application server" v. "application server binaries (without post-install)") caused the confusion.  I also intended to give more feedback sooner, but an individual with more vehicle than driving skill took out a transformer up the block from our office, resulting in a long power outage and longer network mayhem.

I would recommend you first remove the unneeded service with

sdeservice -o delete

Then you can alter the CONNECTIONS parameter with:

sdeconfig -o alter -v CONNECTIONS=128 -i sde:sqlserver:SRSSDGIS02 -u sa -p myPassword -D myDatabasename

- V

GeoffreyWest
Frequent Contributor

After installing creating the sde service successfully i received this information.  Now I would like to create an instance in this service.

sde_service.PNG

0 Kudos
GeoffreyWest
Frequent Contributor

The problem was that even with an SDE service installed, it would not start.  The message read the service started and stopped because it wasn't in use.  I have removed all SDE services.  My 10.1 service was not registered with Windows services either, after installing the 10.2 and seeing it as stopped as in the message above I was unable to alter any associated connections.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

That's actually a different problem.  The service failed to start because you did not configure the Admin_database registry key (step 3 in the installation documentation -- If you're using DBO as the SDE user, then you may have skipped step 4 as well).  The Admin_database registration step is necessary on non-Oracle RDBMSes (it was hidden by the post-install UI, but it's always been there for those of use who used command-line to create services).

The command-line sdeconfig command, with Direct Connect syntax, would work even if the service was non-functional.

- V

0 Kudos
GeoffreyWest
Frequent Contributor

So for now, I have no SDE service registered with Windows, my question is

do I begin in at step 1 again by creating a service with an associated DB?

When using sdeconfig -o alter -v CONNECTIONS=128 -i

sde:sqlserver:SRSSDGIS02 -u sa -p myPassword -D SCData

I receive a message of bad-login user, while my SQL Server database user is

indeed sa.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

Are you using the application server service?  If you hadn't been using the 10.1 service against the 10.2 geodatabase, then it doesn't seem that it would be necessary.  It won't be possible at ArcGIS 10.3.

Is there an SDE user in your instance (or are the tables owned by DBO)?  If an SDE exists, you may need to use it to configure the CONNECTIONS parameter.

- V

0 Kudos
GeoffreyWest
Frequent Contributor

I am not using the application server service; and there is not an SDE

user.

0 Kudos