A generic tool to convert multiple mdf files to gdb,

Jump to solution
04-09-2017 11:20 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

A generic tool to convert multiple mdf files to gdb,

To enjoy multiusers editing environment, our data is stored in mdf files (enterprise). However, when it comes to publishing, we convert the mdf to gdb in order to gain some performance as the services that read from gdb are much faster than those read from mdf. We are wondering if there is a generic tool that can convert multiple mdf files to gdb.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
38 Replies
abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ahmed thanks for your input, its working fine with me but the tool did not transfer Global id field

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Your right, but the issue is that   Preserve Global ID works  only  in ArcGIS Pro. What do you think?

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, yes, you are using ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap.  I believe Preserved Global IDs was introduced at Pro 1.2.  Is using ArcGIS Pro an option?  Not surprisingly, the What's New in ArcGIS 10.6 is pretty anemic and doesn't mention anything about preserving global IDs.  I wish I had a better answer for you; unfortunately, I think we are going to see more and more of this over the next couple years as the development/resource gap grows between ArcMap and Pro.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Ahmad,

As we have currently two tools to convert mdf to gdb depending on whether the gdb is published or not, is there any chance to combine these two tools into one such that we can have one generic tool that convert mdf to gdb in all cases

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
AhmadSALEH1

Yes I think I can do that, I will send it over when its ready.

AhmadSALEH1

Jamal, 

Here you go. The tool will do the following:

1- stop the selected services. (optional, if you  want to run the tool without stopping and starting the service leave the services unselected) 

2- delete the old gdb's. 

3- copy the sde data to the destination folder.

4-start the services again.

let me know if you had any issues running the tool.

Thanks,

Ahmad

abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ahmad

Perfect work, it is working fine with me.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Fantastic Ahmad. You deserve an award for developing this generic tool to convert multiple mdf to gdb

Jamal Numan
AhmadSALEH1

glad it worked!