401 unauthorized: access is denied

09-17-2015 09:55 AM
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor

I have used to be able to access this app but not sure what changed the permissions (I did try to share the whole wwwroot directory and that may have changed some permissions) and now I get  the 401 error now ....(unless I manually give everyone access ) How can I fix and have access by default to anything new I add?

ArcGIS Server is 10.31

Web Server is 2012 R2 64 bit

thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor

I suspect that trying to share the whole wwwroot directory was a bad idea and that exactly changed the initial settings and permissions on the whole directory, etc, Is there a way to rest or put it back how it is supposed to be - doea anyone know how it is "by default" so to speak before I messed it up?

anonymous access?

The reason I was trying to share it was to be able to edit files from my macine on the server.... (again maybe not such a good idea in the first place....)

heeeelp!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Are you trying to reset permissions on operating system files, IIS or ArcGIS Server? 

I'm not sure of any way to roll back file permissions on OS system files, but you my be able to talk to your IT staff.

If IIS, I find it's sometimes easier to create a new web adaptor...even if temporary...to see what the defaults are.  I'm sure others have a simpler way to do this....but this is one way I have reviewed permissions.

iIf AGS, you should be able to got into the security for AGS and reset it.  If you have folders, you can look at each and change the folder permissions​

Securing your ArcGIS Server site—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

0 Kudos