10.5.1 Simple Paste Doesn't Work

05-31-2018 02:46 PM
RyanJohnson6
New Contributor II

When you copy a symbol or text and simply paste it back in (to have a copy), usually it offsets slightly and you can move it, modify it, etc.  With 10.5.1 it pastes the item way out of view.  At first we thought the command no longer worked, then we discovered accidentally that if you zoom way out (WAY out), it'll be there.  Any ideas on why it doesn't just offset it slightly like it always has in the past?  This causes way more headache and loss of production than it should.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for posting your question. I am going to move your question to the ArcGIS Enterprise‌ space and share it with a few others to help you get the answer you need. The GeoNet Resource Hub is typically for GeoNet tools and feature questions rather than Esri products and support. Please let us know if you do not receive any response within the next few days. 

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ryan,

> When you copy a symbol or text and simply paste it back in (to have a copy) ...

Can you please specify which app you're working with? Is it ArcMap? ArcGIS Pro? The Portal for ArcGIS Map Viewer? or something else? Are you copy/pasting features in an edit session or simple graphics? Can you provide some screenshots? 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RyanJohnson6
New Contributor II

Thank you for replying.  I am referring to ArcMap and simple graphics.  Just a simple marker or piece of text.  I noticed it only happens after I change the coordinate system.  If the coordinate system is left at "WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere)" then the copy/paste performs correctly.  If I change my coordinate system to a state plane or UTM, etc. then it will not work.  It pastes the item thousands of miles away and you must zoom out to find it.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the additional details. Unfortunately, I am not an expert with ArcMap. Sorry. I am going to share your thread to the appropriate forums so the Desktop folks can take a look and comment.

EDIT: It looks like your thread has already been shared to both the ArcGIS Pro and Technical Support forums. I would also encourage you to contact Esri Tech Support and open an issue.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

It just shows that even the graphics have a coordinate system based location placement, but it does not have the same "intelligence" to apply a transformation, hence the shift in position when you copy in one CS and paste into another.  Rather change the CS first, then copy and paste the graphic.

RyanJohnson6
New Contributor II

Yep, you are correct, but they used to.  We have all done this for years and now none of us can.  We either have to zoom all the way out and drag the items back, or change the coordinate system until we are finished and then tweak the locations of the items.  It is just cumbersome and we wanted to be sure we weren't missing out on a new setting or something.

0 Kudos
RyanJohnson6
New Contributor II

I'm still struggling with this being a huge efficiency problem and read thru your response above again.  To clarify, we aren't copying from one CS and pasting in another.  It's the same coordinate system.  We simply copy simple text, or a simple drawing object and immediately click paste.  It pastes the item in outer space!  It used to just offset the item a bit.  So frustrating.

0 Kudos
RyanJohnson6
New Contributor II

I just had a colleague stop by asking me about this and if we had this problem.  It's almost a show-stopper here.  Anyone else have anything to add?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
JackJacquet
New Contributor

Have you tried changing the annotation coordinate system? In the data frame properties under the annotation groups tab make sure your annotation coordinate system is the same as your coordinate system for your data frame.