10.1 Memory Issues

09-05-2012 04:35 AM
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
I have installed 10.1 onto a new server and have been experiencing issues with memory usage.  Our current 10 installation of ArcGIS Server utilizes about 12 MB of memory, while 10.1 is utilizing about twice the amount of memory with less services running than on our 10 server.  Also the javaw.exe process grows to over 2,000,000 K.  Has anyone else had issues like this with 10.1?  Tech support did not seem aware of this issue.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
51 Replies
FraserHand
Occasional Contributor III

We have something similar - did we get a response to this?

Thanks,

Fraser

0 Kudos
SusanJones
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Eric

We have exactly the same issue after an upgrade from ArcGIS Server 10.2 to ArcGIS 10.3 2 weeks ago.

Same environment - VMWare and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Is VMware an issue would Hyper Visor be a better choice of virtualisation?

Susan

0 Kudos
AaronKreag
Occasional Contributor

I am more a fan of Hyper V. Did you upgrade in place…using the same VMs? Can you detail your old environment and the new one, tell us what the symptoms are….

0 Kudos
AndrewWharton
New Contributor
I just encountered the same issue with one instance of javaw.exe using over 3,200,000kb. Two other instances were in that 200,000kb range. We are using 10.1 but aren't using VM software, so it looks like an issue or setting that affects more than just VM.
0 Kudos
RobertWeise
New Contributor
And same here: no VM, memory at 90% capacity, and often CPU usage peaking towards 100%. Stopping services does not make a difference.
RJ
0 Kudos
RobertWeise
New Contributor
And same here: no VM, memory at 90% capacity, and often CPU usage peaking towards 100%. Stopping services does not make a difference.
RJ

Oh, and I noticed that stopping the ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Web Applications Manager brings down memory use from 9Gb out of 10 to 1.6-ish. Turning them back on doesn't bring them right back up, but CPU is close to 100% and memory is creeping up pretty fast...
RJ
0 Kudos
ElizabethNolan
New Contributor III
We have been testing performance on our new 10.1 server, and trying to tune our new server(s) to handle our volume, both optimally and efficiently. Through testing we have come across an odd occurrence. When a geocode service is being accessed on the ArcGIS server, the number of ArcSOC.exes in use double. As a side effect, the memory use spikes and reaches maximum capacity. I talked to tech support and they told me that ArcSOC.exe was acting as designed. I know we can throw more memory on the server, but that is not the point. We can also adjust the runtime memory limit and the maximum instance capacity, and these changes might make a difference. But for a transactional environment changing memory limitation or capacities cause slower processing times, and bottle necks, and even with these changes the doubling of ArcSOC.exe would still occur.
In my opinion, this is poor design, and seems to be left over coding from earlier versions of ArcGIS, when DCOM was being utilized. I see no reason, nor have I obtained a valid reason, as to why ArcSOC.exe needs to double in use when a geocoding service is being accessed. Something is off in the invocation of the services, in my opinion.
An example, of this happening is, the calling process is sending 5 requests, and there are 5 instances in the management console in use. The monitor of the OS shows that there are 10 ArcSOC.exe running for the 5 instances. We are using an isolation plan so nothing else is running on the box. We have it in lockdown as we are testing the performance and tweaking.

Have any other developers noticed large memory usages, or that ArcSOC.exe doubles in size when geoprocessing?

Maybe if enough developers complain about this fact, then a solution will be created.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Just to be clear - you originally mention geocode service, then at the end you say geoprocessing service.
I've never seen an instance that a Geoprocessing service has doubled its memory footprint. It will take on more RAM resources if you compare the footprint of just started vs. used a few times. Depending what it does it may take on different amount of resources if the execution is somewhat dynamic (that is, not all executions follow the same code path).

As for the geocode service - I'm not an expert in this area, but I do know this can be a more RAM intensive service. Depending on the locator settings, the size of streets/locator, you could use up a lot of memory. It follows the same pattern of any other service. At startup it has a memory footprint and this footprint will grow some during execution. Again, I can't say for your particular situation how much it will grow, just from personal experiences I do know it can use more RAM (compared to say a Geoprocessing service).
0 Kudos
ElizabethNolan
New Contributor III
I mistakenly put, geoprocessing, my bad.

What I am referring to is a geocode service. And it is memory intensive, but no one has been able to explain why there are double exes when it's running. Of course it would make sense that it would be more memory intensive since the runtime memory limit can be set up to 2 gig.
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
I too am experiencing the same memory issues, which everyone has already stated above.  Unless anyone has found an answer, our memory will continue to be gobbled up by the ArcSoc processes and the two javaw.exe processes.  Somewhere on the net, i saw a post which basically said the javaw.exe processes should only be consuming a 1mb or less.  On our server it's near the 1GB level.  Sure would like to see this issue resolved.

Eddie
0 Kudos