Trace tool in Create Features randomly(?) not working - Help!

08-03-2011 12:29 AM
BrettDavies
New Contributor II
Hi
I'm compiling a geologic map and use the trace tool to generate infill polygons. Very recently - I upgraded with the latest Service Pack for v.10 - the tool stopped working in parts (seemingly) of the map. I hit the 'trace icon', click on the last point of the newly developing polygon (located on an existing polygon), wait for it to 'register' and then hear a tone/beep and note that it refuses to trace along the pre-existing polygon's boundary. It has happened in other parts of the map, but it is consistent in one part. I can only hand 'draw' the polygon and then clip the existing polygons to 'cut-out' the new one.
Sometimes ArcMap just hangs after clicking the last polygon and I have to restart it.
I am completing a major project for a client here in the Sahara Desert (yes, it is hot at the moment) and urgently need to understand / fix the issue. Any suggestions/help would be very gratefully received!
Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
72 Replies
SaedMadanat87
New Contributor

After struggling with this for a while now, I think I found a work around.

I'm drawing polygons by tracing on another line feature, some of those line layers came from CAD drawings.

Previously, when trace stopped working, I had to zoom in a lot so that it would continue tracing.

What I did today is that I used the "simplify line (cartography)" tool, I simplified the lines that I'm tracing from, using the "point remove" algorithm, I used a tolerance of 0.01 m.

after that I faced no issues so far.

0 Kudos
BrettDavies
New Contributor II

Interesting Saed. I will try that when I next run into the problem.

My work around has been since my last post - to use existing polygons to clip the new (overlapping) polygon. I haven't had a problem with that other than the effort/time required. 

Thanks for your post.

0 Kudos
IBWadmin
New Contributor III

In Pro 2.8.2, I can successfully create one feature by tracing. However, for an additional feature, the trace tool for feature construction will not work without quitting and restarting the software.

After one feature, the software does not respect my trace preferences. It behaves as if "trace selected features only" was selected. Also the software stops respecting user snapping preferences. It is not able to create any feature after the first one by tracing. Quit, restart.

My trick (when stuck on feature construction) dealing with other bugs was to temporarily select a different feature template in a different feature class, then switch back to the template required, though this isn't a fix for the trace tool bug.

0 Kudos