When you're feeling stuck but believe there must be a solution!

a week ago
Labels (2)
marnoclo
New Contributor II

Perhaps not the ideal place to seek assistance, but I find myself completely stuck. Recently, a user approached me with what seemed like a feasible request at first glance. However, considering the limitations, I'm in need of potential workarounds. So, keeping that in mind, user's request: I'd like to be able to choose a geographical area from a FC and display only the relevant data within that area many FCs. It sounded straightforward, or so I thought. The catch is that the data needs to be stored on 10.4 enterprise, and while I can access it in ArcGIS Online, creating a view layers is restricted. Are there any viable workarounds for this dilemma? I figure it cant be that hard!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi there, 

Let me know if I missed something, but I'll take a whack at trying to help!

It may be worth looking into Catalog Layers in ArcGIS Pro, this is a new functionality that sounds like it may accomplish what you're looking for(?) https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/catalog-layers.htm  

I'm not sure how it works in the online environment, but if you're looking to make static map products this may help. 

Best, 

Amanda Huber

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@marnoclo 

would you mind clarify this part?

I'd like to be able to choose a geographical area from a FC and display only the relevant data within that area many FCs

with "data" were you referring to features (e.g. trees, streets, parcels etc.) or feature-classes/layers?

also, what type of service are you planning to publish?

finally, how are you planning to use a geographical area as your filter? Do you want to set that from a web app? or you want to publish a service with a spatial filter and end users can't modify that?

thanks

0 Kudos
marnoclo
New Contributor II

In this scenario, data refers to pipes, valves, meters, etc. Each stored as individual Hosted Features . The user interface will be a simplified web application. Users can select an existing polygon (also hosted features), and the application will visually display only the data within that selected polygon.

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

The Query widget in Experience Builder has a spatial filter option.

0 Kudos