webgisdr temp folder

Jump to solution
04-15-2021 12:35 AM
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to change where the webgisdr puts the staging files?

By default they go into C:\arcgisportal\temp but I have found that the webgisdr process fails as the C: Drive runs out of space.

Yes, I could increase the C: Drive but we have a couple of additional drives with plenty of space that would be better for them to be stored in.

Also, do anyone know why the temp folder is not automatically cleaned up?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi Dean,

Portal's temp directory can be relocated by the administrator via the portaladmin page.

go to /portaladmin/system/directories/temp and click the "edit" operation, replace the existing path with your new location (see https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/enterprise-administration/portal/edit-directory.htm)

BUT - the new path must still be a local directory for each Portal machine (not a network share) and the update wont create or populate the new folder - you need to do that first - on both machines in an HA site.

AND - - this will cause a Portal restart so not something to be taken lightly

the good news is that any files in the existing TEMP directory are really that - temporary - and do not need to be copied to the new location. In the same vein - I would suggest there is no reason not to delete any files in the temp directory that have not been auto-deleted - but maybe wait until  they are a day old to ensure you are not impacting a running process.

View solution in original post

DeanHowell1

Thanks @DavidHoy that is good to know (should have just asked you directly) 🙂

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi Dean,

Portal's temp directory can be relocated by the administrator via the portaladmin page.

go to /portaladmin/system/directories/temp and click the "edit" operation, replace the existing path with your new location (see https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/enterprise-administration/portal/edit-directory.htm)

BUT - the new path must still be a local directory for each Portal machine (not a network share) and the update wont create or populate the new folder - you need to do that first - on both machines in an HA site.

AND - - this will cause a Portal restart so not something to be taken lightly

the good news is that any files in the existing TEMP directory are really that - temporary - and do not need to be copied to the new location. In the same vein - I would suggest there is no reason not to delete any files in the temp directory that have not been auto-deleted - but maybe wait until  they are a day old to ensure you are not impacting a running process.

DeanHowell1

Thanks @DavidHoy that is good to know (should have just asked you directly) 🙂