Use vector logo/image

04-23-2014 12:35 PM
IanFrank
New Contributor
I work at a firm that is continually producing map products for reports and small atlas projects.

We would like to be able to add the firms logo to maps (in the title block, legend area, etc) because maps tend to be pulled out and used in presentation by our clients. All the ways we have tried so far have looked choppy upon export. Ideally we would like to add it as a vector (rather than raster such as tiff).

We have the logo in two vector formats. Illustrator (EPS) and PowerCADD (PC9). We have succesfully converted it to DWG and SHP.

The logo looks fine in arcmap, but as soon as it is exported it gets choppy (Usually export to PDF, but have tried JPEG as well).

Any suggestions?

We are aware that ArcMap rasterizes anything below a raster layer or a layer with transparency.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaChisholm
Occasional Contributor III
Also, make sure you set a very high resolution when exporting your map, otherwise your logo will lose resolution. I use 300 dpi for most of my maps and 900 dpi for very high res (and larger files).
0 Kudos
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III
If you don't already have a vector logo, you can try this...

Converting raster logos to graphics
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Converting_raster_logos_to_graphics/010600...
0 Kudos
IanFrank
New Contributor
Thanks!

The .EMF solution worked perfectly.

I'll outline how we made it work.
- Opened the .EPS in Illustrator (I hear it works in Inkscape as well if illustrator isn't available).
- Scaled the image to roughly 10x its intended display size.
- Selected all elements
- Exported to .EMF
- Inserted as Picture into ArcMap.

Maintained colours and nice clean vector elements.

Thanks again, huge help!

IF
0 Kudos