Topology creation?

08-16-2010 03:00 PM
WilliamClark
New Contributor II
Hello, Forumers!

I have two feature classes (FGDB).  One "Boundary" - the boundary polygon of Oregon (jagged coast area specifically).  The other "BreedBlocks" - a derived polygon with boundaries of the coast inland with ecologically significate boundries delineating 5 different zones.  The problem: whomever made "BreedBlocks" did a good job but did not use the state boundary layer we currently use so there are some infidelities with Boundary (some places need to come inland some out to the Pacific further).  Modifying the feature will take a long time (thousands of vertices to delete) as my BreedBlocks extend nearly 400km.  How can I keep my derived, inland bounds but get a more accurate coastal bound (exact?)?  I thought I might have to create some topology for this, but I am not sure what I am doing with that whole process and wasn't sure if that is the answer anyway.

Attached is a partial screenshot of the BreedBlocks -- note that at this scale the infidelities are not visible.
Thanks for your help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
Here's some options.  Depending on your license level and how many and how big the differences are you may like one or the other.

One method.  If you can convert your polygons to lines and points, then you can select the lines in BreedBlocks that need to be replaced, delete them, and copy and paste the Boundary layers lines in that area into BreedBlocks.  Extend or trim any intersecting lines as needed and/or use planarize and delete the unneeded extensions.  Then build polygons using the points for attributes.

Second method(s).  If the differences are all or almost all within a small tolerance, run an Integrate.  Or create a topology using feature classes, and run a validate.  Priority is given to your Boundary layer.

Third method.  Use the zipper task.

Fourth method.  Use the construct features tool to first split all the BreedBlocks where they extend beyond Boundary, then delete those.  Run it again building polygons taking into account existing polygons, and then merge these newly created polys (that fill in areas between BreedBlocks and Boundary) with the appropriate abutting poly.
0 Kudos