Publish Mapservice - Where are the data?

04-05-2017 06:58 AM
GISMountains
New Contributor III

Hi all

My question is about publish MapServices. If I publish a MapService from ArcGIS Pro with "Copy all Data" and LayerType "Map Image". After this publish process are the data in the datastore? If yes, is there a way to directly connect to the data? ArcGIS Pro, ArcCatalog others? If no, where are the data stored?

Cheers

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you publish a map service from ArcMap and copy data to the Server, the data will live in the arcgisinput folder, ex C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\<service>\extracted\v101.  I'm not sure if that's the same with Pro, but that's a place you can look. Pretty sure it'll be the same location.

AlexanderBrown5
Occasional Contributor II

GIS Mountains,

If the ArcGIS Datastore is not setup, then the location Jonathan refers to is where you would look.  

However, if the ArcGIS Datastore is setup as a "Managed Database" in a federated/hosted arcgis server (that is attached to your Portal), than the data is automatically copied to the Datastore.  If this is the case, you can directly access the content in your Portal and pull it down into ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro  by accessing my content and finding your feature services.  

If you want to edit the data, you need to enable that when you publish your content.  Also, if you are publishing entire map services, you can always edit the data locally and overwrite your services when you have a change.

~Alex

0 Kudos
GISMountains
New Contributor III

Hi Alexander and Jonathan

Thank you for the response.

I checked the directory on the ArcGIS Server. There is a fgdb in the following directory:

D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\<servicde>.MapServer\extracted\p12\<servicde>_alias.gdb

When the servers creates the map-picture is it using the data in this fgdb or are there the same data in the datastore?

How can I check if there is the same data in the datastore? Connect with pgadmin tp the postgres? Connectionstring?

Cheers

0 Kudos
AlexanderBrown5

The map service is utilizing the data in your FGDB here: D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\<servicde>.MapServer\extracted\p12\<servicde>_alias.gdb

Do you have a datastore attached to Portal/ArcGIS Server?  If your data was copied to the arcgisserver directory, I would think you do not have a "managed database" with the ArcGIS Datastore.

As for connecting, it was not intended for your to connect with ArcCatalog to the ArcGIS Datastore.

This is a good thread on the topic:

https://community.esri.com/thread/160435 

~Alex

0 Kudos
GISMountains
New Contributor III

Hello Alexander

Yes, the datastore is attached to the Portal/ArcGIS Server. It is configured in the ArcGIS Server Manager. The ArcGIS Server is federated with the Portal for ArcGIS and is configured as hosting server. The ArcGIS Enterprise version is 10.5. Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server and the Datastore (relational) are installed on 3 different server as recommended. It works to "Publish hosted feature layers", from ArcGIS Pro and as upload with Portal for ArcGIS. 

For me is still not clear: Is something wrong with our configuration and the data for a mapservice should be in the datastore? Or is the situation that the data are stored in a fgdb on the filesystem on ArcGIS Server the way how it is?

Thank you, yes I know this thread. Is it possible to connect to the postgres with pgadmin? connection string?

Cheers

0 Kudos
AlexanderBrown5

I am glad to hear you have a Base deployment of Enterprise 10.5.  Even better to hear that you followed best practices in your implementation, separating the components for workload separation!  I just published to my 10.5 Enterprise instance (with fully federated/hosted ArcGIS Server).  

If you are publishing as a "web map":

If you "Copy all Data" using ArcGIS Pro, and have a hosting server, it looks like the data is stored in a folder called:

D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\<map service name>.MapServer\extracted\p12  - has data for web map (since not feature services)

If you publish a multi layer map as a "web layer" (which will create feature services):

There should be a folder in your ArcGIS Server directory:

D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Hosted

The feature service should appear in that Hosted folder and if you drill down to the v101 folder, there should be no FGDBs.

D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Hosted\<feature service name>.FeatureServer\extracted\v101  - should not contain data.   If this is not the case, I would be curious to see if you published a single layer as "web layer" and investigate where this data was uploaded to.

I believe it is worth mentioning, you can have registered databases/folders in ArcGIS Server still...which would keep the data in the file system or enterprise SDE.

As far as connection directly to the datastore, I have heard there are ways you can go about it, but I do not think Esri supports that workflow directly.  Just be careful if you do connect and manipulate data, as I do not believe tech support can help you with recovering or fixing that datastore.

~Alex

0 Kudos
GISMountains
New Contributor III

Hmmm, just the datastore is registred in the ArcGIS Manager configuration.

And I do publish with copy data and Map Service from ArcGIS Pro to the Portal for ArcGIS like in the picture in the first message.

What else could we check? Which configuration to check?

Cheers

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Just to add to this, if you're publishing a map service from data that is not registered, it's going to copy the data into the arcgisinput folder.  If you're publishing a map service with feature access using data that's not registered, it'll copy data into the ArcGIS Data Store and create a traditional map service that spins up an ArcSOC.exe process.  If you're publishing a feature service directly to Portal, the data still goes into the ArcGIS Data Store, but you're publishing a "hosted feature service" that won't spin up an ArcSOC.exe process.

Since you're publishing a map service, the data won't be copied into the ArcGIS Data Store.  Once you publish a service that requires a relational database to store the data, (any feature service), it'll copy the data into the ArcGIS Data Store.

0 Kudos
GISMountains
New Contributor III

Hello Jonathan. 

How can I publish a MapService with FeatureAccess? With ArcGIS Pro -> Share as Web Layer -> Data (Copy all data), I can just select Layertype=Feature or Layertype=Map Image, not both. Do I miss something?

Cheers

0 Kudos