Problem creating legend with representations

10-12-2010 03:38 PM
RachelSmith
New Contributor
Is anyone else having a problem creating a legend with representation symbology?
When I attempt to add a legend, ArcMap hangs and eventually I have to just close
the project - without ever getting a legend.  At first I thought it was because I have
alot of layers, lots of representations, etc..., so I copied one of the small layers
to a new, blank .mxd and it does the same thing.  I've also tried opening a blank .mxd
and adding the layer (without the copy) and I get the same results.

Is this a known bug with 10?  This exact layer worked fine in 9.3...

Thanks!

Rachel
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisPratt
New Contributor II
I too am having this problem. Which really sucks since I went to great lengths to create representations for most of my data.

I turned off all layers that have representations and the insert legend works fine. If I then turn on just one layer with reps, no joy.

Chris
0 Kudos
ChrisPratt
New Contributor II
Rachel

A workaround is to change all of your layers using carto reps to single symbols, then create your legend, then change your layers back to carto reps. The carto reps then display in the legend.

I have not had the opportunity "play" with this solution yet. So there may be other issues that develope. But at least it may point you in the right direction .

Chris
0 Kudos
RachelSmith
New Contributor
Thanks for the info.  My workaround (since I was under a deadline) was to open the feature class on a machine that had 9.3 to create a legend.  Then converted to graphics and copied them to the layout of my "real" project which is in version 10.  It's not a good solution, but it worked for the moment.  Hopefully the first service pack will address the issue.  I also posted on the Cartographic template page from which I downloaded the geodatabase that contained all of the representation symbology hoping that it might get more attention from ESRI. 

Now that I'm not under a deadline, I will try out your suggestion.
Thanks again.

Rachel
0 Kudos
AnnMaclean
New Contributor
I am still having this exact same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution?
0 Kudos