Portal + Server 10.5 and SQL Server 2008 databases

05-02-2017 11:52 AM
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor III

We are unfortunately stuck on SQL Server 2008 for our SDE databases for a few more months.  I know that Desktop starting at 10.4 doesn't support this version of SQL Server.  However we are interested in upgrading our Portal site to 10.5 (w/ corresponding federated Server).  We're already at 10.4.1 for Portal and have no issues consuming services (from a 10.4.1 ArcServer) that are ultimately coming from 2008 SQL Server databases.  

I'm hoping for a little clarification about whether going to 10.5 Portal+Server will result in any issues relating to the support deprecation of SQL Server 2008.

Thanks - 

Allen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Allen,

I think you should be ok using enterprise geodatabases powered by SQL Server 2008, as data sources for your web services. However, I don't know if the new capabilities offered in the 10.5 release will work with feature classes in those geodatabases, as the DBMS platform is deprecated.

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I think you can consume, but I know you cannot (or should not) edit a SQL 2008 SDE with Desktop 10.5.x.   In our show, we don't typically connect directly to our ArcSDE/SQL for services....typically we create a copy/replica into a fgdb for services.  fwiw.

We are in the process of testing and upgrading to SQL2014 ourselves, and are holding off on the ArcGIS 10.5.x (desktop and server) just for that reason.  Just fyi.

AllenScully
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Derek and Rebecca -

We're also thinking about using FGDBs as well for our services, and are also holding off on 10.5 Desktop.  The FGDB set-up would require a significant amount of re-wiring of existing services so no one is super excited for that undertaking, but we know it's likely going to happen.

These are really helpful responses - I think we'll go ahead with 10.5 since our Portal user community is still fairly small.  Also are setting up a test Portal environment (finally) for these kinds of things.

Allen

0 Kudos