Modifying the Set Visibility Range

04-30-2021 10:00 AM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

I have a service created in Enterprise 10.8.1 and Pro 2.6 where I have a maximum. visibility range set and no minimum range set.  I have loaded this into a Web Map in Portal 10.8.1.  For this ONE map I want to remove the maximum visibility range.  I have gone into the Change Style Options and slide the slider all the way to the left to show at all scales.  However, it still doesn't not display the data at a higher level than what I set in the published service.  If I change the minimum with the Change Style Options is reflects that change.  Is there a way to override this visibility setting in a web map or what you publish in the service is your only option.

I have SEVERAL other maps set up pointing to this service where I want that maximum range set and I only want to change it for just this one map.  My other only solution I have come up with is publishing an entire new service with the visibility range not set, but that seems a little much as they will just eat of more resources on the server for just one map.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sounds like a buggy Arcism.  Maybe test it in a new blank map just to see if the WebMap has gone funky. 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you publishing as a Feature or Map Image? What you are describing should be possible without too much trouble.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Narrowing down a predefined scale range might be possible, but it might not be possible to expand the visibility scale range for the published layers. 

Currently, you may republish a new layer with no predefined scale range in ArcGIS Pro.

For your future workflows, you can publish the layers visible at all scale range, and control the scale range through Change Style Pane of Map Viewer or through the layer context menu.

Set visible range (Map Viewer Classic) 

Think Location
0 Kudos
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

This service is a published map image.  No editing capabilities.  I tried it in a brand new web map but still the same thing that it would go out further than what I defined in map prior to publishing it.

I defined the max. scale because 99% of the maps that I will use for this service will need that scale set, so I didn't want to have to set in every web map I add it too.  This is a one off case where I don't want it and I was trying avoid the need to publish ANOTHER service just for this one special map.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So, try adding the layer to a web map using its URL, and instead of the regular service URL, use the URL for the individual layer, "/MapServer/0" or whatever the layer index happens to be.

When you do that, it treats the added layer like a Feature Service, and may give you different capabilities. However, you'll lose any "fancy" symbology or labeling that the Map Image happened to use. But maybe that's more tolerable than publishing a new service for one map.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You've not got a range on the group layer overriding a sublayer have you?

0 Kudos