merge divided roads pulldown menu empty

Jump to solution
09-12-2013 10:41 AM
RandyGlaus1
New Contributor
In the ArcToolbox, submenu: Cartography Tools, submenu: Generalization, there is an option called Merge Divided Roads. Within this tool there is a Merge Field, which requires something to be there, and it is a pulldown menu, but the pulldown menu has nothing in it. I can't run this process without something in this field, but can't figure out how to get something into the field.

Is the pulldown menu boken?

I am using ArcGis version 10.

Randy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Randy, this field only considers fields of the data type "Short". You would have to create a "Short" data type field.
And then have for example Interstate is a "1", a highway is "2" , major road is "3"....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Maybe this will help explain the field? http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00700000000w000000

I assume something needs to be in there to prevent the tool from merging roads that run parallel to each other but are different types of roads. For example if a road runs along an interstate. you wouldn't want those roads to be merged.
0 Kudos
RandyGlaus1
New Contributor
Thanks for the response.

I read the help pages you referenced, which really doesn't explain the interactive tool in ArcGis. There are different parameters which go into the Merge Field which controls which features are merged, but the interactive pulldown menu is empty. The pulldown menu should have items in it that can be selected. With nothing there, there is no way to input something into this field, at least I haven't figured out how. I try typing things in there and they are all marked as invalid.

I think the only valid way of inputing something into the field is via the pulldown menu, which is empty.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Randy, this field only considers fields of the data type "Short". You would have to create a "Short" data type field.
And then have for example Interstate is a "1", a highway is "2" , major road is "3"....
0 Kudos
RandyGlaus1
New Contributor
Thanks Tim,

I just started using Arc this week and still have a lot to learn. I didn't know there was an Attribute Table I could modify, but your comment got me going in the right direction. I was able to do what you suggested and got something to show up in the pulldown menu.

Now to see if I can get it to actually work.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
No problem! Don't forget to mark the answer, so people with the same problem see what needs to be done.
0 Kudos
YanivYaniv
New Contributor
Thanks Tim! it solves the issue.

0 Kudos