Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Service Not Working in ArcGIS Enterprise

Jump to solution
04-19-2023 07:54 AM
Labels (1)
Clayton-Cooley
New Contributor III

I'm trying to bring an external/third-party map service into our web maps in ArcGIS Enterprise but it will not render. There are no errors or any indication as to why it isn't loading. It works perfectly in ArcGIS Online, but for some reason ArcGIS Enterprise does not like it. I spoke with Esri Tech Support about it and they experienced the same thing but they said it's probably something on the publisher's end. However, I'm not certain that's the answer. Has anyone had this issue? Could it be my PC's processing speed? Is it loading fast in AGOL because Esri is using some super fast server? 

The map service is here if anyone wants to try it out in their : Raster/LocalHighRes_Feb_2023 (MapServer) (mississippi.edu)

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RussCoffey1
New Contributor

Clayton - 

The issue could be with the coordinate system, since this is raster data in a different coordinate system than Web Mercator.  I gave it a shot in our Enterprise Portal and initially nothing drew, although the Portal map viewer did zoom me to Vicksburg, MS.  Looking at the network traffic that map draw generated, there was only one call being made to "https://gis.mississippi.edu/server/rest/services/Raster/LocalHighRes_Feb_2023/MapServer/export?dpi=9... with an empty png as the response, which basically says it found no data to draw.  I noticed the Spatial Reference of this raster data is

Spatial Reference: 103088  (6507)

So I tried the quickest way to make sure my map viewer is in the same projection as what I want to draw, rather than Web Mercator, which is to add it to the map as the basemap.  Once I did that, the imagery showed up, and there were lots of call to that base URL to grab lots of pngs.  (I am still curious why it worked for you in AGOL, though.  Did you follow the same steps and add the data to the same type of web map?)  Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

This is an imagery issue due to the mixed tiling schemes of your cached service and the basemap in use.

As Russ pointed out, the SR of your service is 103088 - you will need to find a basemap in this SR and matching tiling scheme before you are able to add the data ( I wasn't able to add this as a layer in ArcGIS Online or Enterprise - only add as a basemap).

Here's an explanation of an error you may have seen:

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/publish-map-services/00079-data-frame-dataset-layer-...

You could fix this by re-caching the service using the ArcGIS Online tiling scheme as an input. Looking at your tiling scheme - this seems to be custom:

• Level ID: 
    • Resolution: 55.55555555555555
    • Scale: 64000
  • Level ID: 
    • Resolution: 27.777777777777775
    • Scale: 32000
  • Level ID: 
    • Resolution: 13.888888888888888
    • Scale: 16000
  • Level ID: 
    • Resolution: 6.944444444444444
    • Scale: 8000
  • Level ID: 10 
    • Resolution: 3.472222222222222
    • Scale: 4000
  • Level ID: 11 
    • Resolution: 1.736111111111111
    • Scale: 2000
  • Level ID: 12 
    • Resolution: 0.8680555555555555
    • Scale: 1000

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

Funny how even when both ends are Esri products things can still work poorly. (in this case Enterprise map viewer as a client and the ArcGIS Image Server at Miss. EDU.)

In my test that server loads fast in QGIS but painfully slowly in the viewer that comes with my copy of Enterprise 10.9.1. I don't use AGOL much so I will take your word for it that it loads quickly there. (I wonder how it loads in other clients like Leaflet and OpenLayers? No time to test.)

I have been dealing with this problem here by running a copy of MapProxy. See https://mapproxy.org/ It's taken me a fair bit of work to get a set up that I like. I still have Cron restart it every morning out of paranoia, and run a health check every 20 minutes during business hours. It seems to have settled in though.

MapProxy runs on your own server and caches imagery, so it's only painfully slow on the first fetch. After that tiles are cached locally and it's fast.

MapProxy is "free" but comes with a learning curve, and there is no friendly phone support person. I run it in a Docker container. (MapProxy came out with a supported Docker version on Monday 4/17/23 but I have used it in Docker for years now.) My version is here: https://github.com/Wildsong/docker-mapproxy

Now that there is an official Docker version I am moving in the direction of supporting it; my project is a full implementation including a CouchDB database and support for a Varnish reverse proxy.

The original problem I was addressing was the fact that some agencies (especially at the US federal level) have services that come and go and bog down from time to time. MapProxy hides most of those issues. I tried seeding the cache (so that every tile would be copied and stored locally) but have decided that's not worth it for me at this time.

We have a few local aerials (just the files). This is another nice use case for MapProxy: you can publish Esri tile packages. That means if your needs are only to deliver an aerial as tiles without any geoprocessing capabilities then you don't need any Esri Image Server. Copy the tile package to MapProxy and unpack it. Mapproxy understands the "compact v2" format.

If I had an unlimited budget I'd try using Image Server but I don't have any reason to right now so I don't know what it can do for me besides serve images.

BTW those are nice air photos. 🙂 Thanks for sharing the link. -- Brian

RussCoffey1
New Contributor

Clayton - 

The issue could be with the coordinate system, since this is raster data in a different coordinate system than Web Mercator.  I gave it a shot in our Enterprise Portal and initially nothing drew, although the Portal map viewer did zoom me to Vicksburg, MS.  Looking at the network traffic that map draw generated, there was only one call being made to "https://gis.mississippi.edu/server/rest/services/Raster/LocalHighRes_Feb_2023/MapServer/export?dpi=9... with an empty png as the response, which basically says it found no data to draw.  I noticed the Spatial Reference of this raster data is

Spatial Reference: 103088  (6507)

So I tried the quickest way to make sure my map viewer is in the same projection as what I want to draw, rather than Web Mercator, which is to add it to the map as the basemap.  Once I did that, the imagery showed up, and there were lots of call to that base URL to grab lots of pngs.  (I am still curious why it worked for you in AGOL, though.  Did you follow the same steps and add the data to the same type of web map?)  Hope that helps.

Clayton-Cooley
New Contributor III

After a little more digging yesterday, as @A_Wyn_Jones mentioned in his reply, I realized that I could only view this in AGOL as a basemap by opening the rest service and just clicking View in AGOL Map Viewer, but once I added it as a layer it stopped working.  I tried adding it as the basemap in my Enterprise Map Viewer but that didn't seem to work. It's keeping the default Topographic basemap and just stacking that image service on top. I must be missing a step somewhere.

Would it be worth asking the folks at MARIS, who published the service, to republish it in a different SR?

0 Kudos
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

If you need to overlay this data over an ArcGIS Online default basemap - yes you should request them to recache the imagery. 

The folks at MARIS may be aware of a basemap that could be used in conjunction with the map service (with a matching tiling scheme and spatial reference), I've been looking on ArcGIS Online for a compatible service/basemap but unfortunately can't find anything. 

Please mark my reply as a solution to help others find this thread when they experience your issue 🙂 

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."
0 Kudos
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

This is an imagery issue due to the mixed tiling schemes of your cached service and the basemap in use.

As Russ pointed out, the SR of your service is 103088 - you will need to find a basemap in this SR and matching tiling scheme before you are able to add the data ( I wasn't able to add this as a layer in ArcGIS Online or Enterprise - only add as a basemap).

Here's an explanation of an error you may have seen:

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/publish-map-services/00079-data-frame-dataset-layer-...

You could fix this by re-caching the service using the ArcGIS Online tiling scheme as an input. Looking at your tiling scheme - this seems to be custom:

• Level ID: 
    • Resolution: 55.55555555555555
    • Scale: 64000
  • Level ID: 
    • Resolution: 27.777777777777775
    • Scale: 32000
  • Level ID: 
    • Resolution: 13.888888888888888
    • Scale: 16000
  • Level ID: 
    • Resolution: 6.944444444444444
    • Scale: 8000
  • Level ID: 10 
    • Resolution: 3.472222222222222
    • Scale: 4000
  • Level ID: 11 
    • Resolution: 1.736111111111111
    • Scale: 2000
  • Level ID: 12 
    • Resolution: 0.8680555555555555
    • Scale: 1000