Legend and scale bar location using data driven pages

03-11-2014 09:28 AM
IeuanHarry1
New Contributor III
Hi,

I am using data driven pages to create a series of images for 3 separate blocks of data. I can set up the pages ok but am having difficulty in controlling the location of the legend between the 3 blocks. If for example i have the legend in the top right hand corner of the layout for the first block it remains here for the other two blocks. The problem is, for the last 2 blocks i wish to have the legend in different locations.

Currently I am using data driven pages to create my layouts and then exporting each one individually after manually adjusting the legend and scale bars for each one. Fortunately this isn't too much of a problem as there are only 3 pages, but what if i wanted to create much more than this? Is there a way to automate their location in the layout based on the data in the layout i.e. move the legend to a suitable place so that it doesn't overlap with any of the data?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
I haven't tried the Multiple Layout Manager yet but it looks promising if it works in your version of ArcMap.  See http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=0ba4fd37e2e54f65b3edf6478e8cc30a

I've have used the DDP's ability to insert pictures dynamically to move layout items around, even using one DDP project to produce jpg maps that were then inserted as pictures into the main DDP.  See http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00s900000022000000

In many of my DDP projects I have only one or two maps that need to have the legend and/or location data frame moved, and I do that by going to that page and manually selecting the entire legend and/or dataframe and using the Properties - Size & Position tab to quickly move them to where they need to go.

For more ideas you might look at this: http://gis.stackexchange.com/tags/data-driven-pages/hot
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You are in a situation where you are going to have to manually move the legend.  Data driven pages will not move it. HOWEVER

I am not 100% certain what you mean my Blocks of Data, do you mean from different sources?

You can set up a legend to only show items that are visible in the layout. IF your features do not exist in the 1 layout that it does in the 2 then you can create two legends and one will not be visible when the other two are

Hi,

I am using data driven pages to create a series of images for 3 separate blocks of data. I can set up the pages ok but am having difficulty in controlling the location of the legend between the 3 blocks. If for example i have the legend in the top right hand corner of the layout for the first block it remains here for the other two blocks. The problem is, for the last 2 blocks i wish to have the legend in different locations.

Currently I am using data driven pages to create my layouts and then exporting each one individually after manually adjusting the legend and scale bars for each one. Fortunately this isn't too much of a problem as there are only 3 pages, but what if i wanted to create much more than this? Is there a way to automate their location in the layout based on the data in the layout i.e. move the legend to a suitable place so that it doesn't overlap with any of the data?

Thanks
0 Kudos