layout view disabled

09-04-2012 12:02 PM
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
Hello-
I have a map file (mxd) with 2 data frames. I cannot see anything in layout view, the screen is  white, no frames or graphics are visible. I tried changing scale, rotation, refreshed many times, tried changing layout, layout view always remains completely blank. I can print the layout and it comes out fine with the data and graphics that were last saved, Everything works fine in data view (with either data frame active) but my screen shows nothing in Layout view. Any Ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Have you tried to copy and paste both data frames in a new mxd?  If no give that a try and see if the layout view is corrected in the new map.
0 Kudos
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
Thanks- that worked, but of course my layout template is gone when I do that. I think I located the source of the problem:

This happens when adding a basemap layer (i.e. Bing maps hybrid) in layout view. Upon adding the layer the layout disappears. When you switch to data view, the original data & basemap are visible, but your layout is gone (invisible? try printing, and it seems to come out fine).

Solution: add basemap ONLY in Data view, not Layout view. I repeated this several times and it worked every time. If you do it in Lyaout view- try using the 'change layout' command and chose the file you are working on - that also worked.
🙂
0 Kudos