Select to view content in your preferred language

Improve drawing performance for Enterprise Feature/Map Services

05-08-2023 07:54 AM
Labels (1)
marksm_macomb
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how to get feature services to load faster on our Portal. The data is housed in an SDE and our server is federated with Portal.  The layer of concern has just under 10,000 points and a related table with just over 10,000 records. Some things I've tried already is changing from a dedicated to a shared instance, and using the map service instead of feature service where editing is not needed, but load times are incredibly slow, and 99% of the time the layer does not draw completely (in both Map Viewer and Map Viewer Classic, and in dashboards). 

Our organization is pretty small. We have maybe 20 users that actively log in and view content. Only 5 users have editing capabilities but are not actively editing data very often at the moment (I am the main data editor).

I do not have much experience with server administration so I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for. I'm also not sure if this would be a case of needing to change feature service settings, or if it's more of an issue server side, but here are some messages I get when checking the logs:
"Error performing query operation Wait time of the request to the service 'Sanitary/Sanitary.MapServer' has expired." (Lots of these messages)

"Exception in Get(): _GetItemIterator exception: client id 11196 is trying to check out Sanitary/Sanitary.MapServer but it already checked out Record_Drawings/Record_Drawings.MapServer11196"

"Instance of service 'Inspections/Sanitary_Inspections.MapServer' failed to process a request."

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

Mark,

A Dedicated map or feature service will respond better than a shared map service.  If there is a lot of activity on the service it should definitely be dedicated.  Increasing the instances may help, say min1 and max 4.  I recently read that max instances should not be more than number of CPU cores + 1.  You should also make sure any attributes that you are searching on are indexed and your related table has the appropriate indices as well.

I believe a map service will perform better than a feature service but if you have complex symbology and labelling on the map service it will make the service slower.  You should Google and read for some more tips - https://t.ly/dZjV 

Good luck,

Bernie.

0 Kudos
Randomapper
New Contributor III

Is the enterprise geodatabase performing well from a direct connection?   I've had similar issues in the past when the SDE needed maintenance.  Analyze Datasets, Rebuild Index, then Compress database.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

It is very odd that query operation gets timed out while returning on 10,000 point features.

How long does it take to draw them when you actually access SDE directly (not map/feature services involved) in ArcGIS Pro.

Also, did you add a map image layer (aka map service layer) or a feature layer in your web app/map?

That said, there are lot of thing that are involved when it comes to performance. Unless some members of this community gives you some suggestions that might work for you, I'd strongly recommend you to call Esri Support and they should be able to help you out.

0 Kudos
marksm_macomb
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all,

We recently upgraded our Enterprise to 11.1 (previously 11.0) but I was unaware our SDE was still on 10.4.1

Pretty much as soon as we upgraded the SDE, performance improved drastically and this is no longer an issue.